Part of Course: Animal Science Model
Unit Overview / Details
This unit contains lessons on habitat, housing, husbandry tools, feed and water issues for agricultural animals.
- 10 Hours
Content / Concepts
- Space and location requirements for habitat, housing, feed, and water
- Selecting habitat and housing conditions and materials
- Purpose and safe and humane use of restraint equipment
- Purpose and safe and humane use of animal husbandry tools
Lessons in this Unit
"Meet your Mates!" - Students will be able to utilize their notes to correctly identify swine breeds and construct their piglets that will be used the next day in the ear notching and litter numbering practice.
- Combined with Part 2 = 2, 1.5 hour block periods
- 3 Hours
Students will learn the parts of the long bone and be able to identify the four major bone breaks in order to properly assist in correct healing.
- Instructional time
- 59 Minutes
"Meet your Mates!" - Students will be able to utilize their notes to correctly paint their paper mache pigs per specific breed standards given by the instructor and learn how to ear notch after being given their litter number and birth order using an ear notcher; once done the
students will find their own "litter mates."
- combined with Part 1 = 2, 1.5hr. block periods or 3 regular 1hr. class
- 3 Hours
"Body Piercing..." - Students will be able to utilize their notes to
correctly identify sheep and beef breeds and learn how to ear tag correctly.
- 1 Block Period or 1.5 regular hour long class periods
- 90 Minutes
At the conclusion of this lesson, your students will be able to read a syringe as well as identify the various methods used to administer pharmaceuticals.
- Lesson Time
- 2 Hours