Part of Unit: Geometry
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will follow a powerpoint presentation to complete a
series of geometric construction exercises. They will use the
techniques to develop a shift lever.
Industries, Industries, Subjects and Grades
- 9 to 12
- Industries and Pathways:
- Engineering & Design
- GCE - Introduction
- 80 Minutes
- Geometric Construction Exercise
- 320 Minutes
- Shift Lever
- 160 Minutes
Student Objectives / Goals
- define, describe and utilize various geometric relationships and object oriented editing methods to produce a variety of defined outcomes.
- define and describe the role of geometric properties in object creation
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- ED.C.C2.1 Use methods and techniques for employing all engineering design equipment approp...
- ED.C.C2.3 Apply the concepts of engineering design to the tools, equipment, projects, and ...
- ED.C.C3.1 Know how the various measurement systems are used in engineering drawings.
- ED.C.C5.1 Understand the commands and concepts necessary for editing engineering drawings.
- ED.C.C5.2 Know the various object-altering techniques.
- ED.C.C5.3 Know the CADD components and the operational functions of CADD systems.
- ED.C.C9.1 Understand the processes of lettering and text editing.
- ED.D.D11.2 Apply conventional engineering technology processes and procedures accurately, a...
- ED.FS.10.2 Understand the importance of technical and computer-aided technologies essential...
- ED.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
- ED.FS.5.1 Apply appropriate problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills to wor...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
- M.5.MG.2.3 Visualize and draw two-dimensional views of three-dimensional objects made from ...1
- M.6.MG.2.3 Draw quadrilaterals and triangles from given information about them (e.g., a qua...1
- M.7.MG.3.1 Identify and construct basic elements of geometric figures (e.g., altitudes, mid...1
- M.8-12.G.13.0 Students prove relationships between angles in polygons by using properties of c...1
- M.8-12.G.16.0 Students perform basic constructions with a straightedge and compass, such as an...1
- M.8-12.G.20.0 Students know and are able to use angle and side relationships in problems with ...1
- M.8-12.G.21.0 Students prove and solve problems regarding relationships among chords, secants,...1
- M.8-12.T.5.0 Students know the definitions of the tangent and cotangent functions and can gra...
Activities in this Lesson
- Geometric Construction Exercises - Hooks / Set
Acquiring skills is like adding tools to our tool bag. In Engineering Design, there are many ways to solve a problem. Previously, we have used coordinates to describe the relationships between lines and objects. For some of us, that works well. For some projects that also works well. But, there are other ways to do it. We can look at and control the relationships between lines, objects and features. For some of us, this will be easier.
- GCE - Introduction - Demo / Modeling
After introducing the unit, I have the students setup a new folder to save to (usually in the my documents folder). Then, I have them open the required powerpoint and the first GCE exercise (dwg). I proceed to model how to use the powerpoint as a resource to complete the exercise. I also find that I have to review the object editing features/actions commands to key students into the fact that they will also need to continue to use these functions.
- Geometric Construction.ppt [ Download ]
- Geometric Construction Skill Builder Exercise - Demo / Modeling
Students will use the supplied powerpoint presentation to complete the skill building activity. Students will need access to AutoCAD or similar product to complete the exercise. As an alternative, students could use the drawings as a model and recreate them using board drafting techniques.
- Geometric Construction.ppt [ Download ] Geometric Construction Technique Overview
- Geometric Construction Skill Builder Rubric [ Download ] This document is the grading rubric that I use to grade the "Skill Builder" exercise.
- GCSkillBuilder.zip [ Download ] This zip file contains all the drawings (dwg) needed to complete the exercise.
- Shift Lever Skill Demonstration - Projects
In this exercise, students will use the sample drawing, and their skills in geometric construction techniques to draw a shift lever. I also give the students a copy of the grade rubric, so that they can self evaluate. We use AutoCAD, but a similar program or board drafting can work.
- Summation - Closure
As we near the end of the shift lever activity, we discuss how we can build various objects. I make the kids spiral back to coordinates, as well as geometric relationships. This is a brief five minute discussion.
- Assessment Types:
Utilize the grade rubric as indicated in the previous sections - (1) Geometric Construction Skills Builder Exercise, (2) Shift Lever Skills Demonstration.