Part of Unit: Laboratory Techniques and Safety
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
In this activity, students will complete a classroom "scavenger hunt" to find out the use for different biotechnology lab equipment. After students complete the scavenger hunt, the students will complete a "hidden" page book containing information on each of the tools. This book can also be used as a reference for the students later on in the course.
- 2 days
- 55 Minutes
Activities in this Lesson
- Scavenger Hunt - Hooks / Set
In the room various biotechnology equipment and tools are labeled with both the name of the item and what its use is, and a hint leading the students to the next item. When students walk in they will be given their first hint to a piece of biotechnology equipment or tool and the worksheet attached. Students will be using hints to find the item in the room, its name, and use. They will record this information on the worksheet, and use the hint to move to the next item. To make sure students were at the correct equipment each spot has a station number and stamp. Students will mark their worksheet with the stamp and station number. All equipment in my room is from biorad and my hints are created using characteristics of the equipment. This takes about 1 class period.
- Instructions for Hidden Page Book - Lecture
Now that students have discovered all the lab equipment they will be using in the course, they are going to make a lab equipment guide book. The guide book we make is a hidden page book.
To make the book for each student you will need one 11x17 piece of blank paper and one 81/2 by 11.
1. Fold the 11 x 17 paper (landscape orientation) in half, and fold it again.
2. Unfold once (it should still be folded in half). Using scissors, cut from fold to fold line to make three separate flaps.
3. Take the 81/2 by 11 sheet of paper and fold in half (portrait). Cut down the line.
4. Weave the pieces of paper opposite of each other.
5. This completes the book. To find the hidden pages, fold the book down the middle so that is makes a W shape. When you split it down the center you will have a new "hidden" page.
See the pictures of the steps below.
- Step 1 (11x17) [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Fold page in half [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Fold in half again [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Split half of folded page into thirds [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Cut across halfway [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Fold 81/2 x11 paper in half [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Cut in half [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Weave thru openings [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Front of book [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Inside of book [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Back of book [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Making W or M to open to hidden pages [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Directions for Lab Equipment Book - Lecture
Students create the lab equipment book of day 2.
1. The lab equipment book will include all the lab equipment they discovered during the scavenger hunt.
2. Students will draw pictures of each piece of equipment, and write a description of what it is used for.
- Assessment of Hidden Page Book - Assessment
The rubric attached is modified from RubiStar.4teachers.org.
- Hidden Page Book Rubric [ Download ]
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.SFIM.2.2 Prepare a bibliography of reference materials for a report using a variety of co...2