Part of Lesson Plan: Pinwheel Project
Activity Overview / Details
When the students enter the class the video clip will be playing the Mattel Toy Commercial from the 1960's.
They will see this on the front board:
Get a Pinwheel Project Sheet from the classroom handout box.
On the back of the project sheet, write down two of your most favorite toys from your childhood.
After the clip, I will take a survey on what toys were their favorites. We will discuss and choose the two most popular ones. We will dicuss what they were made of and how they were made.
The pinwheel is introduced to the class by blowing on the pinwheel and letting it spin.
The students are asked what tools and machines from the 1st project(Vise Jaws) will be used to make this new toy.
They are listed on the board:
Combination square, awl or scribe, ball-peen hammer, aviation snips.
Bar folder, Box and Pan break, Cornice break.
We then go to the Powerpoint on the project.
See PPT. slides 1 thru 4.
Transition to the lab:
Each student must have their project sheet with their name on it and the two toys neatly written on the back of the sheet.
I release the students to the lab by rows and use the handout as a ticket to get into the lab.
Materials / Resource
- YouTube- CLASSIC TV COMMERCIAL - 1960s - SLINKY #5.wmv [ Watch Video ] [ Download Original Video ] 1960's Slinky commercial
- Pinwheel Drawing- Fractional [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] Pinwheel drawing and assignment sheet
- Pinwheel Drawing -Decimal [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] Pinwheel drawing and assignment sheet
- Pinwheel_Toys_Handout.doc [ Download ] Pinwheel Project Handout - page 2
- Pinwheel Project.ppt [ Download ] PowerPoint for the Pinwheel Project in Metals 1