Part of Unit: Plumbing Systems in Agriculture
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
The purpose of this lesson is to focus on the uses of steel pipe in plumbing applications and the procedure used in fitting steel pipe.
- Instructional Time
- 3 Hours
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- ANR.B.B4.1 Know basic plumbing fitting skills with a variety of materials, such as copper, ...
- ANR.B.B4.2 Understand the environmental influences on plumbing system choices (e.g., filter...
- ANR.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
- ANR.FS.5.1 Apply appropriate problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills to wor...
- ANR.FS.5.3 Use critical thinking skills to make informed decisions and solve problems.
- ANR.FS.6.1 Know policies, procedures, and regulations regarding health and safety in the wo...
- ANR.FS.6.2 Understand critical elements for health and safety practices related to storing,...
- ANR.FS.6.4 Maintain safe and healthful working conditions.
- ANR.FS.6.5 Use tools and machines safely and appropriately.
- ANR.FS.9.3 Understand how to organize and structure work individually and in teams for effe...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.LS.2.3a Apply appropriate interviewing techniques that prepare and ask relevant questions.
- ELA.9-10.LS.2.3e Apply appropriate interviewing techniques that demonstrate knowledge of the subj...
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
Objectives and Goals
- Explain the positive and negative characteristics of steel pipe.
- Select the appropriate type of pipe based on its characteristics for specific applications.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively use tools/equipment to fit steel pipe for plumbing applications.
Activities in this Lesson
- Marker Challenge - Hooks / Set
Directly after students enter and find their seats, they are divided into groups of three (3)- four (4). Students are then told they will be competing against the other groups to accomplish four (4) tasks. The tasks are outlined on the Marker Challenge sheet. To accomplish these tasks, they will be provided with a set of resources. They can only use the provided resources to accomplish the tasks. On "GO" they are to send up a representative to receive their Marker Challenge sheet and the resources. Once they finish the challenge, I lead the class in a discussion processing the challenge. "What resources did you choose to use for each task and why?" I then transition the discussion to the concept that the case is similar in pipe for plumbing applications. There are different types of pipe, which have different characteristics, which make them suited for specific applications. I then ask students to individually try to identify positive and/or negative characteristics of steel pipe and places they've seen steel pipe used in everyday life.
- MARKER CHALLENGE.docx [ Download ]
While students are thinking on the ending question of the set, I pull up a short PPT on the characteristics and applications for steel pipe that will be presented to students. They will be responsible for capturing notes. During PPT, samples of steel pipe will be circulated through classroom. After finishing notes, in an effort to check for understanding, I verbally provide some scenarios for the students and they are to give me a thumbs up or down based on whether or not they think steel pipe would be a sound choice.
- Steel Pipe PPT.ppt [ Download ]
- Steel Pipe Fitting Demonstration - Demo / Modeling
I direct students to keep with them their notebook as we proceed to the shop. On their way out they are required to grab safety glasses. Have students gather around a working station. I show them the materials and review the tools they will be using. Students are to observe and record the procedure of fitting steel pipe while I demonstrate proper execution of this procedure. Once I am done, I have students pair up and have one person explain steps 1-5 and the second person explain steps 6-9 with out using their notes. If they need clarification, they can help each other and refer to their notes. I inform students that they can use their notes if needed to complete the lab portion, which is next.
- STEEL PIPE FITTING PROCEDURE.docx [ Download ]
- Steel Pipe Fitting Lab - Lab / Shop
Students pick up their materials and tools and go to their assigned work tables. They then correctly demonstrate ability to complete Steel Pipe Fitting procedure. While students are working, I check in with each student to answer any clarifying questions and check to ensure they are following procedure. I inform students that once they are finished they need to check in with me, and then they can clean up their area.
- Clean Up Work Area - Closure
Students then clean up assigned area, place all equipment and materials away in their correct places in relation to our shop safety guidelines.
- Assessment Types:
- , Self-generated quiz
Once every student has finished and the shop is clean, I direct all students to ensure their initials are on their pipe and then to put there pipe in the period box. I then instruct students to return to the classroom. From here I have students compete a "ticket out the door" assessment which entails them writing three example quiz questions and the answers based on today's lesson. I provide them with a couple of examples to provide direction. Once they are done, they can hand it in as they leave.
- Steel Pipe Lesson.docx [ Download ] Materials and Tools