- FFA Issues and Topics
- FFA: The Benefits to Involvement (Lesson 1 of 4)
- What is the FFA? (first year members) Lesson 2 of 4
- What is the FFA? (older/experienced members)
- FFA: Creating My Plan for Success "myPLAN"
- What is Leadership?
- Leadership Styles
- Intro to Public Speaking
- Supervised Agricultural Experiences
- What is a Supervised Agriculture Experience (SAE) program?
- Benefits of a quality SAE program.
- How to properly select an SAE program.
- Exploration of SAE possibilities
- Long term planning for SAE programs.
- FFA California Record Book
- Careers in Agriculture
- Introduction to Agricultural Biology
- Investigation and Experimentation
- Popcorn Lab- Scientific Method (Variables)
- Scientific Method -- Matt Patton
- Chemistry of Life
- Biomolecules in Food -Holly Whitworth
- Curds & Whey (pH)
- Why is Water Sticky? -- Jill Sperling
- Cell Biology
- It's Not Easy Being Green!
- Are Enzymes the Key? Holly Whitworth
- Egg Osmosis -- Jodi Evans
- Cellular Respiration -- Jodi Evans
- Energy & Living Things -- Jill Sperling
- Fermentation, It's a Gas- Jennifer Terpstra
- Cell Organelles -- Chris
- Cell Dairy Farm
- Investigating Photosynthesis- A Color Story
- Mitosis and Meiosis
- Genetics and Heredity
- DNA Structure in a Shoe box-Matt Patton
- Introduction to DNA -- Chris Dickson
- Transcription/Translation -- Matt Patton
- Golden Rice -- the Use of Biotechnology (Chris Dickson)
- The Perfect Pair of Genes!
- Genetic Checkers -Matt Patton
- DNA Translation and Transcription
- Selective Breeding (Hybrids & Purebreds)
- Dominant and Recessive Allele Selection in Cattle
- Survival of the Fittest - Jennifer Terpstra
- Selective Pressure & Population Curves -Holly Whitworth
- Evolution and Embryos
- Nitrogen Cycle in Agriculture- Jennifer Terpstra
- Population Trends -- Jennifer Terpstra
- Energy Pyramid -- Holly Whitworth
- Accumulation of Toxins in Food Web -- Beth Knapp
- Taxonomy "What do YOU call it?"
- Exploring the Carbon Cycle
- Introduction to the Immune System- Jodi Evans
- Circulatory System -- Jodi Evans
- The Muscular System and Chicken Wing Lab -- Angela Mayfield
- Chicken Embryo Development
- Flower Dissection
- Introduction to Physiology
- The Nervous System
- Pathogens. . . They've Gone Viral!
Activity Originally Created By: Jodi Evans
Disease Transmission Lab
Part of Lesson Plan: Introduction to the Immune System- Jodi Evans
Activity Overview / Details
As students enter the classroom I have them each select a cup that has been filled prior to their arrival. One or two of the cups have been "contaminated" with a pathogen (NaOH). Students will demonstrate the exchange of fluids (drinks) and will determine which individuals are "contaminated" with a disease at the end of the exchange.
Materials / Resource
- Simulating an Infectious Disease [ Download ] This is the handout that I give to my students; however, I have included "teacher notes" in blue font that you can remove before copying for your students.