Part of Unit: Animal Physiology
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will be introduced and learn about the four body planes. They will then demonstrate their knowledge through a hands on gummi bear dissection lab.
- 1 Class Period
- 54 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- ANR.FS.5.2 Understand the universal, systematic problem-solving model that incorporates inp...
- ANR.FS.5.3 Use critical thinking skills to make informed decisions and solve problems.
- ANR.FS.6.5 Use tools and machines safely and appropriately.
- ANR.FS.9.3 Understand how to organize and structure work individually and in teams for effe...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.LS.C.1.1 Formulate judgments about the ideas under discussion and support those judgments...
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
Objectives and Goals
- Recognize and label the planes of the body.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the four body planes.
Activities in this Lesson
- Anticipatory Set/Hook - Hooks / Set
When students come into the classroom have the attached powerpoint opened to the first slide, a picture of an airplane and arrows. When they are all seated, have them break into groups of eight, or four groups total. Tell them that they will have three minutes to come up with as many songs that they can that have the words either plane or direction in the lyrics. After the time is up, have the groups share how many they came up with. The group with the highest number will receive a prize. Then have the groups each select one song and they must sing the part of the song where the words are used. The group that sings the loudest will be rewarded. Once the activity is done, let them know that we will be learning about planes, pertaining to body systems and veterinary medicine.
- The first slide should be up on the screen when students enter the room. [ Download ] Slide show that will guide teachers and students through the anticipatory set and the lecture portion of this lesson.
- Body Planes Powerpoint - Lecture
Attached is as powerpoint that leads students through the four major body planes. The first portion is a review from the previous days activities. Quickly review directional terms. Once you have reviewed the directional terms, the slide show will prompt students to take out a piece of paper and have them fold it into quarters. They will be taking notes on the four body planes in the four squares. They each will have a title, description and an illustration. After the notes, they will complete a lab activity and review quiz.
- Body Planes Powerpoint [ Download ] Same as above.
- Gummi Bear Dissection - Lab / Shop
Students will use 10 gummi bears, plastic knives, a plate, napkin and tape, to demonstrate their understanding of the directional planes. The lab activity, purpose and directions are attached.
- Directional Term and Planes Review Sheet - Projects
Attached is a copy and the key of a review sheet. Students will observe the animals and label directional tools and planes. Use the key to correct student's work and check for understanding.
- Assessment Types:
- Demonstrations, Teacher-Made Test, Observations,
I will use their lab packets to assess their understanding. I will also review their packets/worksheets on the directional terms and the planes.