Part of Unit: Plumbing Systems in Agriculture
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
The purpose of this lesson is to for students to identify types of plastic pipe, their characteristics, and uses while also demonstrating the ability to properly fit plastic pipe.
- Instructional Time
- 3 Hours
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- ANR.B.B4.1 Know basic plumbing fitting skills with a variety of materials, such as copper, ...
- ANR.B.B4.2 Understand the environmental influences on plumbing system choices (e.g., filter...
- ANR.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
- ANR.FS.5.1 Apply appropriate problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills to wor...
- ANR.FS.5.3 Use critical thinking skills to make informed decisions and solve problems.
- ANR.FS.6.1 Know policies, procedures, and regulations regarding health and safety in the wo...
- ANR.FS.6.4 Maintain safe and healthful working conditions.
- ANR.FS.6.5 Use tools and machines safely and appropriately.
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.3 Generate relevant questions about readings on issues that can be researched.2
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
Objectives and Goals
- Identify three(3) types of plastic pipe used in the plumbing industry..
- Describe the positive and negative characteristics of plastic pipe concerning its use for plumbing applications.
- Demonstrate the ability to properly and effectively fit plastic pipe (PVC) using skills and competencies used in plumbing industry.
Activities in this Lesson
- Pipe Test - Hooks / Set
Before class tape a pieces of steel, copper, and plastic pipe to the board. Under and to the left of the three types of pipe write the words "strength", "flexibility", "ease of assembly", "cost" one over the over(see attached sample). Have students pull out a sheet of paper. Challenge then to rank each material in these categories using both prior knowledge. One(1) being the best in this area and three(3) being the worst. For example, for cost, one(1) would be the cheapest. Once they have come up with their rankings, elicit a volunteer. Tell students we as a class you are going to test these pipes in a few of these areas for yourselves. Have students put on safety glasses. Have another set of each type of pipe clamped to a metal shop table. Give the volunteer a hammer or tell him/her that they have one swing at each pipe. After the strength/durability test process what happened. "What material help up the best?" Who was right in your ranking?" Bring up another volunteer. Give them another set of the three(3) types of pipe. Challenge them to bend each type of pipe as much as they can. After flexibility test, process findings with similar processing questions. Ask for one more volunteer. Have then rank the pipes on the board from least expensive to most expensive. Ask students what they now know about plastic pipe. Transition to the fact that the class will explore deeper into the characteristics and uses of plastic pipe. Direct students to as they get out their notebooks out, to think about any past experiences with plastic pipe.
- Plastic Pipe Set Example.docx [ Download ]
- Plastic Pipe Uses and Application - Lecture
Lead a discussion about prior experience students have had with plastic pipe. Transition to the further examination of plastic pipe applications in plumbing systems that will take place next. Present Plastic Pipe PPT. Students will be responsible for capturing notes.
- Plastic Pipe PPT [ Download ]
- Plastic Pipe Fitting Demonstration - Demo / Modeling
Instruct students to bring their notebooks out with them into the shop. Have students grab and put on safety glasses on their way out. During this portion of the lesson, review the materials they will need and the tools that will be used. Then demonstrate the Plastic Pipe Fitting procedure. Students observe and record the process of fitting plastic pipe (PVC). Have group repeat steps. Let each person who volunteers to review the steps only share one and move on to a different student. remind students that the pieces they will construct as a part of this lesson will be used for the final project. Make it clear that EACH student will make two(2) PVC pieces during this lesson.
- PLASTIC PIPE FITTING.docx [ Download ]
- Plastic Pipe Fitting Lab - Lab / Shop
Inform students that they can use their notes as a resource for this lab. I remind students that once they finish, they need to check-in with me, put their initials on their pipes, put them in the period box, and clean up their area. Students then pick up their materials and tools and go to their assigned work table in the shop. They then demonstrate Plastic Pipe Fitting procedure demonstrated above. As they do so, I circulate ensuring that students are correctly following the process and working in a safe manner.
Ensure that the shop is clean and then allow students to return to the classroom.
- Assessment Types:
- Teacher-Made Test,
Once again, after students return to class I check their work. They earn a check if done correctly, or instructions on how to fix mistakes. The assessment peice of this lesson will entail an informal verbal true or false quiz for the entire class. Ask the attached questions and have students verablly answer.
- Plastic Pipe Verbal True.doc [ Download ]
- Plastic Pipe Lesson Tools.Materials.docx [ Download ]