Part of Unit: Animal Physiology
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will learn about common veterinary medicine abbreviations and uses. They will analyze prescriptions and medical records and determine what is being conveyed.
- 1 Class Period
- 54 Minutes
California's 2008 CTE Standards
- ANR.C.C6.1 Know the names and locations of the external anatomy of animals.
- ANR.FS.5.3 Use critical thinking skills to make informed decisions and solve problems.
- ANR.FS.9.3 Understand how to organize and structure work individually and in teams for effe...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.11-12.R.VCD.1.2 Apply knowledge of Greek, Latin, and Anglo-Saxon roots and affixes to draw infer...2
Objectives and Goals
Students will determine the meaning and notation of common abbreviations used in the veterinary science field.
Activities in this Lesson
- D.V.M Stat! - Find Your Match Hooks / Set
When you determine the number of students in your class, create cards with the terms attached. Create pairs, example one card that says "stat" and another that says "immediately." As students enter the room, hand them a card. Once class has started, have students get up and find their pair/match.
Once the all have found their pair, have them line up and share with the rest of the class, their abbreviation and term.
Resources and Materials
- Abbreviations Cards Intro [ Download ] null
Attached is a powerpoint slideshow and student notes. As the slide show is presented presented, students are to follow along and record the information. Once students are done, they will have a practice paragraph to translate.
- Translating Assessment
Pass out this worksheet and in pairs have students translate the paragraph. Once they have all finished, review with the attached sheet.
- Assessment Types:
- Demonstrations, Teacher-Made Test,
Attached is a quiz that students can take at the end of the period or the next day. There is also a final unit exam that tests students on prefixes, suffixes, rootwords, abbreviations, etc.
- Terminology Final Test 1 [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] Terminology Final Test Part 1
- Terminology Final Test 2 [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] Terminology Final Test 2
- Terminology Final Test 3 [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] Terminology Final Test 3
- Terminology Final Test Key [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] Terminology Final Test Key