Part of Lesson Plan: Small Engine Nomenclature
Activity Overview / Details
Have students get a Single Cylinder L-Head Repair Manual and
look at the Table of Contents located in the front of the book. We
know from the power point that the Model # gives us more
information but where do we go to find what the numbers stand for
(i.e. crankshaft position, carburetor, starter etc.). Since this
information is considered General Information find that section in
the Table of Contents and look in that section (Note - point out to
the students that each section also includes a Table of Contents
for that section). If you do not have access to this manual I have
included a copy of that page for the L-Head and the OHV). Write on
the board a Model # based on another L-Head engine (NOTE - do not
use the one the students wrote down during the lab activity. You
will have the students use this number for guided practice after
you finish modeling the activity. Realize if all you have is
Overhead Valve engines you can still do this lesson because it
applies to all Briggs and Stratton engines). Write the number on
the board. Have the students use the backside of their lined paper
to write the example down. Review the B&S Repair Manual the
middle of the page is broke into columns (A-E) Have students follow
along as you write it on the board tell them to use a seperate line
for each item.
- Column A (one item) = 1st one or two digits and
- Column B (one item)= 1st digit after displacement will use whatever the # is it will be the answer.
- Column C (three items)= 2nd digit after displacement find the number in the column and write down the answers for the crank, carb., and governor (if applicable).
- Column D (four items)= 3rd digit after displacement find the number in the column and write down the answers for the bearing, reduction gear, aux. pto, lube.
- Column E (two items)= 4th digit after displacement find the number in the column and write down the answers for the starter, charge system). When you finish ask the kids how many lines they used Know it is there turn using the number they got in the lab.
Materials / Resource
- B & S Repair Manual for L-Heads [ Download ]