Part of Lesson Plan: California Commodities
Activity Overview / Details
After posing the questions about crops produced abroad, and
crops that are sent out, let students know that we are going to
discussing agricultural imports and exports, and how they affect
the economy. Set context for this activity by telling students the
1) Right now, you are going to pair with an individual who has a keen mind!
2) You and your partner are going to take on the roles of two of the greatest thinkers of all time, Albert Einstein and Leonardo Davinci.
3) Have the person with the longest hair raise their hand - they will take on the role of Einstein, and their partner will be Davinci.
Once you have established roles within the pair, deliver the following instructions:
1) Einsteins, this next activity is going to require your full and undivided attention
2) Davincis, while I am working with Einstein - put your head down on the table and relax, because we aren't ready for you quite yet
After Davincis have checked out, proceed to go over the Import slide on the PowerPoint with the Einsteins. After you have covered the information, give the following instructions:
1) Davincis heads up!
2) Einsteins, share with your partners what is was that we just discussed, and have them record that information on the same location on their handout (allow them time to share all of the information, once everyone has wrapped up continue to the next step)
3) Thank you Einsteins! I now require some one-on-one time with our Davincis, so heads down, and we'll make sure to grab you when we are ready
Go over the Exports slide with the Davincis. Afterwards, gain the attention of the Einsteins, and have them capture down the export information! After they have shared, they should have the outsides of the Venn Diagram filled with information. Now deliver the following directions:
1) Great work folks! It was intimidating with great minds like yours!
2) Now that we have some of the greatest minds in history paired up there is one more task that you must accomplish.
3) In your pairs, use those massive thinking brains to come up with some similarities of Imports and Exports!
4) You will have 2 minutes to brainstorm and record your thoughts, at the end of those two minutes please be prepared to share!
Clarify any questions that the students have, and then allow them time to work on the center portion of the Venn Diagram. Once the time has expired, have a few groups share, and celebrate their contributions!