- FFA Issues and Topics
- FFA: The Benefits to Involvement (Lesson 1 of 4)
- What is the FFA? (first year members) Lesson 2 of 4
- What is the FFA? (older/experienced members)
- FFA: Creating My Plan for Success "myPLAN"
- What is Leadership?
- Leadership Styles
- Intro to Public Speaking
- Supervised Agricultural Experiences
- What is a Supervised Agriculture Experience (SAE) program?
- Benefits of a quality SAE program.
- How to properly select an SAE program.
- Exploration of SAE possibilities
- Long term planning for SAE programs.
- FFA California Record Book
- Careers in Agriculture
- Introduction to Agricultural Biology
- Investigation and Experimentation
- Popcorn Lab- Scientific Method (Variables)
- Scientific Method -- Matt Patton
- Chemistry of Life
- Biomolecules in Food -Holly Whitworth
- Curds & Whey (pH)
- Why is Water Sticky? -- Jill Sperling
- Cell Biology
- It's Not Easy Being Green!
- Are Enzymes the Key? Holly Whitworth
- Egg Osmosis -- Jodi Evans
- Cellular Respiration -- Jodi Evans
- Energy & Living Things -- Jill Sperling
- Fermentation, It's a Gas- Jennifer Terpstra
- Cell Organelles -- Chris
- Cell Dairy Farm
- Investigating Photosynthesis- A Color Story
- Mitosis and Meiosis
- Genetics and Heredity
- DNA Structure in a Shoe box-Matt Patton
- Introduction to DNA -- Chris Dickson
- Transcription/Translation -- Matt Patton
- Golden Rice -- the Use of Biotechnology (Chris Dickson)
- The Perfect Pair of Genes!
- Genetic Checkers -Matt Patton
- DNA Translation and Transcription
- Selective Breeding (Hybrids & Purebreds)
- Dominant and Recessive Allele Selection in Cattle
- Survival of the Fittest - Jennifer Terpstra
- Selective Pressure & Population Curves -Holly Whitworth
- Evolution and Embryos
- Nitrogen Cycle in Agriculture- Jennifer Terpstra
- Population Trends -- Jennifer Terpstra
- Energy Pyramid -- Holly Whitworth
- Accumulation of Toxins in Food Web -- Beth Knapp
- Taxonomy "What do YOU call it?"
- Exploring the Carbon Cycle
- Introduction to the Immune System- Jodi Evans
- Circulatory System -- Jodi Evans
- The Muscular System and Chicken Wing Lab -- Angela Mayfield
- Chicken Embryo Development
- Flower Dissection
- Introduction to Physiology
- The Nervous System
- Pathogens. . . They've Gone Viral!
Activity Originally Created By: Angela Mayfield
Part of Lesson Plan: The Muscular System and Chicken Wing Lab -- Angela Mayfield
Activity Overview / Details
Bring students together and quickly engage them in the lesson
with this kinesthetic activity. After students have placed their
belongings at their desk, direct students to find a clear wall
space around the room on which they can lean. Guide students in a
wall-sit competition, where students keep their backs pressed
against the wall with their legs supporting them at a ninety degree
angle. As students break their pose by standing, sitting on the
floor, or bracing with their arms they return to their seats. The
last student(s) remaining in the wall-sit position win(s)!
As students return to their seats, process the experience. What happened? (We had to hold a pose for a long time!) Why was it hard? (Our muscles got tired and started to burn.) What was necessary to complete the challenge? (muscles, bones, determination, strength, etc.) This challenge incorporates many important components, and we are going to take an in-depth look at one of them today as we get hands-on experience with muscles and muscle structures.