Part of Lesson Plan: Redwood Planter Box Project
Activity Overview / Details
Important: Do not mark your wood at the same time you make your
cuts and measure each time. This is so your measurements will not
be off because of saw kerf. Save your scrap wood and put it away
9. Make sure that your two sides and your bottom are of equal length. Make sure that your end pieces are also of equal length.
10. On your sides and bottom, measure in 1 ½" and mark it.
11. Using the Dado saw, make ¾" dado cuts in your wood.
12. On the bottom of your two side pieces, measure from the bottom of your wood up ¾" the length of your board.
13. Using the table saw with the wobble blade set up, make your Rabbet cut the length of the board.
14. Take your two side pieces, lower the blade on the table saw so that it sticks up no more than 1/8". Run a test piece of wood so that you are sure that the blade will not make a cut deeper than 1/8", adjust if necessary and retest.
15. Adjust the rip fence to1". With the top of your side facing towards the rip fence, run both sides so that they make the cut. Important run the side that is opposite of the Rabbet cut!!!!!!!!!
16. Adjust the rip fence to 2 ¾", run both sides through again.
17. Using your scrap wood, cut two pieces 1" wide
18. Holding those two pieces together go to the belt sander and round the corners on one side, so that each leg will match the other.
Now, all cuts have been made for your Planter Box, Next step, assemble it.