Part of Unit: Basic Agricultural Woodworking
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
This project is a basic woodworking project that can be constructed with hand tools or power tools. It will introduce those basic skills to develop tool use for future projects. It utilizes several tools and fasteners in a small project.
- Instructional Time
- 1 Hour
- Student Activity
- 3 - 4 Hours
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- ANR.B.B1.1 Practice the rules for personal and group safety while working in an agricultura...
- ANR.B.B1.2 Know the relationship between accepted shop management procedures and a safe wor...
- ANR.B.B2.4 Complete a woodworking project, including interpreting a plan, developing a bill...
- ANR.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
- ANR.FS.5.1 Apply appropriate problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills to wor...
- ANR.FS.6.1 Know policies, procedures, and regulations regarding health and safety in the wo...
- ANR.FS.6.3 Understand how to locate important information on a material safety data sheet.
- ANR.FS.6.4 Maintain safe and healthful working conditions.
- ANR.FS.6.5 Use tools and machines safely and appropriately.
- ANR.FS.6.6 Know how to both prevent and respond to accidents in the agricultural industry.
- ANR.FS.9.1 Understand the characteristics and benefits of teamwork, leadership, and citizen...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
Objectives and Goals
- Students will work safely.
- Students will identify the correct tools and their proper use for this project.
- Students will accurately measure and layout the project.
- Students will complete a finished book end project.
Activities in this Lesson
- Books on a Shelf - Hooks / Set
Have a set of books on the shelf in the room that is fairly high off the ground. Begin going through the roll and daily announcements ie.. next FFA activity etc. During these, have either a TA or insider student knock one book off of the shelf periodically so that it makes a big noise, interrupting the class. Pose the question to the class eventually after a few drops asking how can we solve this annoyance? Then introduce the next project that we will be constructing in class, the BOOK END.
- Layout of Book End - Demo / Modeling
Show the student the finished project that you have previously constructed to familiarize yourself with the construction procedures. Demonstrate the procedures for project layout for them following the steps on the directions.
- Procedures, Drawing, Rubric for Book End Project [ Download ] This document shows the complete step by step procedures for this project.
- Students Layout Book End - Lab / Shop
Distribute the material to the students and allow them to lay out the project on their stock.
- Cutting out the Components - Demo / Modeling
Using the equipment suggested in the handout procedures, cut the project into its component pieces.
- Students Cut out Project. - Lab / Shop
Have the students cut their projects out.
- Students Assemble and Finish Their Project - Lab / Shop
Students assemble the final project, following the procedures from above.
- Assessment Types:
The instructions and procedure pages include a scoring guide that is broken down into categories and scores.
- Swedish Bookend instructions PDF [ Download ] This PDF is the instructions for layout and design of the book end project.