Part of Unit: Basic Lathe Operations
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will place stock in the lathe for their first project - the plumb bob. Students are taking a step by step approach to proper set up and practicing turning the lathe on and off as well as getting use to the instuctor checking each step of the procedure.
- Second part of lesson one
- 20 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- MPD.C.C10.1 Use various forming tools and equipment, such as rolls, brakes, dies, and presse...
- MPD.C.C10.2 Select appropriate tools, processes, and equipment to successfully produce forme...
- MPD.C.C7.1 Understand materials and processes in relation to machining and forming manufact...
- MPD.C.C7.2 Understand the processes involved in the following machining and forming manufac...
- MPD.C.C9.1 Use various machine tools, such as lathes, mills, drills, and saws, to produce p...
- MPD.C.C9.2 Select appropriate machining processes and equipment to produce prototypes or pr...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
Objectives and Goals
- Students will be able to properly set up a the lathe for a project.
- Students will be able to turn the lathe on and off safely.
Activities in this Lesson
- Students work on the lathe - Lab / Shop
After demonstrating how to secure stock in a the lathe and the proper way to set up the rotation, students are paired up and set out to work on their own lathe.
MAKE SURE THAT THE INSTRUCTOR CHECKS EACH STEP!
1. Make sure that there is stock in the chuck. Make sure the chuck is jaws are tight. Never run a chuck with the jaws empty, they can open up when the machine is turned on and fly out! (INSTRUCTOR CHECK)
2. Check to make sure that your machine is set to a speed of about 800 RPM. Faster speeds may cause damage to you or the machine! (INSTRUCTOR CHECK) NOW WAIT FOR PERMISSION FROM THE INSTRUCTOR TO PROCEED!
3. AFTER INSTRUCTION FROM THE INSTRUCTOR practice turning the lathe on and off. Make sure the chuck is rotating towards you.Always stand to the right side of the chuck while running the lathe. Objects flying out of the chuck will not hit you in this position. (INSTRUCTOR CHECK)
- Assessment Types:
- Demonstrations, Observations,
The teacher makes direct obsevation at each step. The student team must be checked off by the instructor before moving on to the next step.
- Getting_Started_on_the_Lathe.DOC [ Download ]