Part of Unit: Medical Terminology
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Using any episode of the popular medical drama "House, MD," students will start to train thier listening skills to pick out medical terms from a healthcare related conversation. At this point students should be working towards being able to record, with some accuracy, the medical terms they hear. This lesson plan can also be used as a pre and post to demonstrate to students their increase in listening and recognizing medical terms.
Lesson Time 90 minutes broken out as follows
- Hook activity
- 15 Minutes
- Instructions for the video activity
- 5 Minutes
- Video Presentation of "House, MD"
- 47 Minutes
- Discussion of recorded medical terms
- 20 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.C.C3.1 Understand the process for determining, interpreting, and accurately documenting...
- HSMT.C.C3.4 Formulate and report information clearly and concisely.
- HSMT.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
- HSMT.FS.2.0 Communications
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.LS.AEOMC.1.12 Evaluate the clarity, quality, effectiveness, and general coherence of a speaker...
Objectives and Goals
Students will start recognize medical terms spoken by healthcare workers.
Activities in this Lesson
- How do you say that? - Hooks / Set
As the students walk into the room, give each student a 3 x 5 card or piece of paper with a medical condition on it so the student is unable to see the printed condition. Instruct the students to place the card/paper with the medical condition on their forehead so they can not see the medical term, but all of the other students can read it. For a list of possible medical conditions, please see the attached "Medical Conditions" document. Have the students walk around the room and ask their fellow students what condition do they have. Have the student record 5 responses as their student colleagues state their condition. Most likely they will get different response based on pronunciation. Have the students compare their card/paper with their medical term.
- Medical Conditions [ Download ] These conditions can be used for the hook activity
- "House, MD" Video activity - Demo / Modeling
Previously select an espisode of "House, MD" or go to the website listed below to access an episode from the Fox website.
Instruct the students to take out a sheet of blank paper and a writing instrument. Explain to the students that they are going to watch an episode of "House, MD" and that they are to write down as many medical terms they hear. The students are not to be concerned about spelling. They are to listen and to write. During the first 5 minutes of the video, pause the video at each medical term to get them going.
- Episodes of "House" [ Go to Site ] Fox network website that you can watch or download "House" episodes.
- How many terms did you get? - Closure
After the conclusion of the video, have the students compare their words with one other student around them. Then assign a student to share thier words and have the rest of the class check to see if they have the same word on their list. Ask if there are any other words that the students recorded that were not mentioned. Point out that there are literally 100s of words that could have been recorded. Have the students place their name and section on the paper and turn in their work.
- Assessment Types:
- Writing Samples, , Verbal sharing,
Ask individual students to share ther medical words that they recorded from the TV episode of "House, MD" that was shown in class. Students are asked to turn in thier list of words at the end of the period.