Part of Unit: Interpersonal Communications
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
This lesson will introduce students to the concept of valuing diversity and how to adapt to it in the workplace.
Please Note: Students will be using as reference textbook " Personal Development for Life and Work," 9 edition by Wallace and Masters, ISBN: 97-0-538-44148-3. Publisher: Sout-Western Cengage Learning. Chapter 14 - "Valueing Diversity" will be used used for this lesson.
- Lecture and Activities
- 120 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.FS.2.0 Communications
- HSMT.FS.5.1 Apply appropriate problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills to wor...
- HSMT.FS.5.3 Use critical thinking skills to make informed decisions and solve problems.
- HSMT.FS.5.4 Examine multiple options for completing work tasks by applying appropriate probl...
- HSMT.FS.7.1 Understand the qualities and behaviors that constitute a positive and profession...
- HSMT.FS.7.3 Understand the need to adapt to varied roles and responsibilities.
- HSMT.FS.7.4 Understand that individual actions can affect the larger community.
- HSMT.FS.7.5 Know how to interact appropriately and respectfully in various employment situat...
- HSMT.FS.7.6 Know and appreciate cultural differences and provide culturally competent care t...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.LS.C.1.1 Formulate judgments about the ideas under discussion and support those judgments...
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.4 Synthesize the content from several sources or works by a single author dealing ...32
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
Secretary's Commission on Achieving Necessary Skills (SCANS)
Objectives and Goals
- Explain how employers are coping with diversity and how they expect workers to adapt and react to it in the workplace.
- Describe the ethnic and minority composition of the workplace.
- Demonstrate tolerance and understanding for coworkers who might be subjected to discrimination, prejudice, and stereotyping, and how cultural conflict and misunderstanding can be avoided or resolved. Ex
- Explain how employers are required to recongnize and avoid unfair or illegal discrimination and prejudice in the workplace.
- Explain how employers are expected to respond to the federal statutes prohibiting employment discrimination in the workplace.
- Explain what sexual harassment is and how it should be dealt with in the workplace.
- Demonstrate understanding of how you might deal with personal experiences involving prejudice and discrimination.
Activities in this Lesson
- Diversity in the Workplace - Hooks / Set
As students enter the classroom a PowerPoint presentation will be showing with images of people from varied ethnicities and religious backgrounds. This to show there is diversity in the workplace and that we will be working with others of varied ethnic and religous backgrounds.
- Diversity.ppt [ Download ] Students will be given 15 minutes to do group discussion on the images the saw as the walked into the classroom. As groups of 4-5, they will be asked to discuss what they perceived the images of the PPT to be. Once group discussion is complete, students will be asked to share with class what they perceived the images to be. Teacher will share what images actually represent.
- Valuing Diversity - Ch. 14.pdf [ Download ] As a classroom students will read "Valuing Diversity" - Ch. 14. Once reading is complete students will be assigned: 1. Checkpoints #1-5 on page 379, 2. Applications #2 on page 380, and Self Check #1-5 on page 383.
- Chapter 14.ppt [ Download ] Teacher will share with class Ch. 14 - Valuing Diversity PPT and give students insight on valuing diversity in life and in the workplace.
- Chapter 14 Test.doc [ Download ] At start of next class period, a brief review will be done on "Valuing Diversity." After review, test will be given to assess student learning on "Valuing Diversity."
- Chapter 14 Test & Key.doc [ Download ] Lesson test and answer key.
- Diversity in the Workplace.doc [ Download ] Additional Teaching Materials for Ch. 14 - Valuing Diversity.
- Assessment Types:
- Teacher-Made Test, Observations,
Students will be taking test a true/false and multiple choice questions. The achievement test is to access student learning of today's lesson on "Valuing Diversity."
No resources are included, yet.