Part of Unit: Interpersonal Communications
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Are employers looking for employees who are self motivated? You bet ya! What happens to an employee who lacks motivation and initive? Self-motivation is defined as: Drive within you to get things done and initiative is: The process of starting a task or project without being told to do so; the energy or aptitude displayed in the initiation of action.
Please Note: Students will be using as reference textbook, "Personal Development for Life and Work," 9e by Wallace and Masters. ISBN: 97-0-538-44148-3. Publisher: South-Western Cengage Learning.
- 120 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- ECDFS.FS.3.1 Know the personal qualifications, interests, aptitudes, knowledge, and skills ne...
- ECDFS.FS.5.3 Use critical thinking skills to make informed decisions and solve problems.
- ECDFS.FS.5.4 Apply decision-making skills to achieve balance in the multiple roles of persona...
- ECDFS.FS.7.1 Understand the qualities and behaviors that constitute a positive and profession...
- ECDFS.FS.7.2 Understand the importance of accountability and responsibility in fulfilling per...
Secretary's Commission on Achieving Necessary Skills (SCANS)
Objectives and Goals
- Explain what causes a person to be motivated.
- Explain the importance of being a willing worker.
- Overcome the tendency to avoid or delay unpleasant tasks.
- Show the initiative to do and learn more than is expected or required.
- Display an open and eager attitude.
Activities in this Lesson
- Show Initiative and Self-Motivation - Hooks / Set
As students enter the classroom and take their assigned seating, they will refer to the whiteboard to get the day's lesson. Before the start of the lesson they will be told that they will be watching a clip called "self initiative" from YouTube.
- What causes a person to be motivated? - Lecture
Show Chapter 10 - "Self Motivation" Powerpoint presentation. Hand out the Chapter 10 worksheet related to PPT. Lecture on the nine slides by giving examples of life experiences related to self-motivation and initiative.
- Am I motivated enough? - Group Work
Students will be broken into groups of about 4-5. They will be asked to discuss what they view as self-motivation and initiative. They are to recreate some on the job, school, or community scenarios of when self-motivation and inititive was demonstrated. They will re-enact the scenerio in front of class and demonstrate the steps taken to show self-motivation and initiative.
- Ch. 10 Assessment Test - Assessment
Self-motivation and initiative assessment will be done by assessing students knowledge of subject matter. Test is True/False and Multiple Choice with a total of ten questions.
- Assessment Types:
- Demonstrations, Teacher-Made Test, Observations,
Students will be taking an achievement test which will consist of true/false and multiple choice questions. The achievement test is to access student learning on today's lesson on "Self Motivation."