Part of Unit: Laboratory Procedures (Obtaining & Preparing Specimens)
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will learn and demonstrate how to test urine using a multistix dipstick method.
Lesson Time 40 minutes broken down as follows.
- Equipment prep
- 5 Minutes
- Dipstick instructions
- 20 Minutes
- Urinalysis demonstration video
- 5 Minutes
- Student urinalysis practice
- 10 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.B.B2.4 Use appropriate documentation to report information about patients and clients.
- HSMT.D.D2.2 Use various manual and mechanical techniques and procedures for decontamination ...
- HSMT.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
- HSMT.FS.6.3 Understand the importance and use of Standard Precautions and Infection Control,...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
Objectives and Goals
Given a urine sample, students will be able to complete a urinalysis using a multistix dipstick.
Activities in this Lesson
- Urinalysis Equipment Prep - Lab / Shop
Prior to beginning this lesson, it is important to obtain parental consent for students to sample their urine, possibly other urine samples from other sources and perform urine tests including but not limited to glucose, keytones and specific gravlty.
Show the first slide of the urinanalysis (UA) Powerpoint and use it as guide for the students get their UA lab stations ready. Have the students follow the power point directions.
- UAppt.ppt [ Download ]
- Did he or didn't he? - Hooks / Set
Put up on the screen the PPT picture of Barry Bonds alleged steroid use or print out the article's front page and pass it out to the students. After the students have had a chance to see the article's front page, ask the students what makes people think Barry Bonds used steriods? Ask the students how can anyone prove that he used steriods? Then ask the students what are some of the ways that people can be tested for steriods? Explain to the students that a common way to test for all kinds of chemicals in a person is by completing a UA-aka urinalysis.
- Barry Bonds Picture [ Download ]
- Urinalysis Video - Demo / Modeling
For an overview of how to conduct an urinalysys, show the following video from youtube.
- Test your urine and records results - Lab / Shop
Students will provide a sample of urine. Using the remaining UA Powerpoint slides, take the students through completing their urinalysis. Make sure students document the results on the documentation sheet.
- dipstkdoc.doc [ Download ]
- Assessment Types:
Watch each student demonstrate the use of the urinalysis multistix dipstick, and have the students turn in their documentation of the UA.