Part of Unit: Architectural Career Opportunities
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
The Architectural Team is one of two lessons in the Unit Careers in Architecture, Engineering and Construction. In this first lesson students will use book reference page 444-446 and a teacher presentation. In this lesson, the instructor writes the Architecture team players on the board and gives a very brief introduction of how the team interacts to develop a building project. Students will be put into Architectural Design groups and each group will examine a simple set of house plans. Job descriptions for Architectural team members will be listed on the board and students will collaborate on the house design process.
Each group will give a short presentation on how the Architecture team came up with their home design, along with work-in-progress improvements.
The Architecture Team
- One period
- 50 Minutes
careers in architecture
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- ED.A.A1.2 Understand the development of architectural and structural systems in relation t...
- ED.A.A2.1 Understand the ways in which sociocultural conditions and issues influence archi...
- ED.A.A4.6 Develop a preliminary building plan by using the appropriate materials.
- ED.A.A7.3 Plan the sequence of events leading to an architectural project.
- ED.A.A8.3 Give an effective oral presentation of a portfolio.
- ED.FS.3.2 Understand the scope of career opportunities and know the requirements for educa...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.LS.ODOC.1.7 Use props, visual aids, graphs, and electronic media to enhance the appeal and a...
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
Careers in Architecture
- The student will learn the responsibility of an Architect in designing a new project
- The student will be able to list other players in the Architecture team
- The student will understand how Architectural design can impact our society
- The student will be able to identify general components on a simple set of house plans
- Students will use basic oral presentation skills to explain Architectural features of the house plans.
Activities in this Lesson
- What is an Architect? - Hooks / Set
The instructor will write the word ARCHITECT on the board and ask students what this career title means to them. What does this person do everyday? How much school is necessary to be an Architect? What license must an Architect have and how does someone get that license? What are the responsibilities of the Architect? (safety, appearance, social). Students will take Cornell notes from this lecture. Reference material is the classroom text pages 444-446. Typical questions from the students "How much does an Architect make?" "Is Architecture boring?" The instructor will introduce career titles in the Architecture team and discuss their role in planning the project, like an artist.
- Architectural Team Members - Demo / Modeling
The instructor will clip a simple set of house plans to the board and do a quick overview of the 6 major drawings necessary to get a planning permit. Instructor will point out a couple of Architect design features like the entry way or types of windows. The instructor will bubble diagram3 of the six members of the Architecture team right on the blueprints and discuss 3 of the 6 team players and their role in project design
- Architectural Design Features - Group Work
Students will be put in groups of 3 and each group will use a basic set of plans to prepare a presentation on Architectural design features of this house, not mentioned previously. The roles of Architectural team players, listed in the text on page 444 and 445. Each group will do a 3 to 5 minute presentation.
Careers in Architecture
- Assessment Types:
- Demonstrations, Observations, group presentation 3 or 4
The instructor will collect and give credit for class notes. Group presentations will be graded. Textbook used is "Architectural Design and Light Construction" by Edward J Muller, 2nd Edition. Also, at least three sets of simple house plans in "D" size Blueprint form will be needed to give one set to each group.