Part of Unit: The Role of Biotechnology
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
This lesson introduces students to the many careers that utllize genetic technology. Students will research the use of genetic technology in a range of career tracks and present their findings to each other. Working in teams students will identify key discoveries in genetic technology and relate each to a particular career path. Students will identify historical beginnings of genetics in the selected career, overall impact on society and the envirionment, professions involved and each group will make predictions for what the future holds.
- "Gattaca" movie clip and discussion
- 10 Minutes
- Introduction to Gen-Venn Diagram
- 10 Minutes
- Research on topics
- 30 Minutes
- Presentations of topics and discussion day 1
- 50 Minutes
- Presentations of topics and discussion day 2
- 50 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.A.A1.1 Understand the role of the biotechnology industry and its impact on society.
- HSMT.A.A1.2 Understand the role of biotechnology product development in curing genetic, envi...
- HSMT.A.A3.2 Understand how the fields of nanotechnology, bioinformatics, genomics, proteomic...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.3 Generate relevant questions about readings on issues that can be researched.2
Objectives and Goals
- Describe applications of genetic technology to the workplace.
- Determine which professions in specific career tracks use genetic technology.
- Be aware of future breakthroughs in genetic technology that are in the pipeline for specific industries.
- Describe how knowledge of genetics is important throughout society.
Activities in this Lesson
- Introduction to careers in Genetic Technology - Hooks / Set
This activity could begin with a variety of different hooks. One would be to have a guest come in from the community who uses genetic technology in their workplace. See Gen-Venn diagram for possible career tracks.
This would give a real life example of what the remainder of the lesson is about. Alternatively the attached clip from the movie Gattaca could be shown to start the class. After viewing the clip you could ask the class: "How far into the future is this?" "What genetic technology is being utilized?" "Do you believe this will be/is possible?" "Would knowing your child's potential lifespan be a good thing?"
Before distributing the handout it is possible to ammend the Gen-Venn diagram as needed. Maybe you would like to replace a topic or add or delete a field. Additionally, it may be possible to let students generate other topics such as academic careers (evolution and anthropology).
Another aspect of the lesson is that it is possible to scale from a two period exercise with a period (with homework possibly) of research followed by a period for class presentations. Written documents can also be added with a required interview with an outside professional working in the identified career.
- Assessment Types:
Each team is graded based on the accuracy and depth of coverage of the industry track for each of the categories on the instruction handout:
- Historical beginnings
- Describe which professions are involved.
- Impact of genetics on field (Give specific examples).
- Prediction(s) for the future (your's and/or the expert's).
- Glossary of terms related to your topic.