Part of Lesson Plan: The 10-Step Engineering Design Solution Process
Activity Overview / Details
Instructor starts the lesson with the short video clips below.
After viewing the video clip(s), they are presented with a quick-write assignment and are given 5 minutes to complete it. They are asked to consider the following questions and write a brief response: "Have you ever been dissatisfied with how a product works? Have you ever had an idea about how to improve a product? Have you ever thought... 'if only there were a (blank)'... and wished that someone would invent one? Tell me about it."
The idea of this quick-write is to engage the students by having them pull from their personal experience with the outside world. (Attached below is a ppt slide with the questions above.)
Students then pair with another student and share for a few minutes about what they wrote on the quick-write task and talk in detail about their ideas. Instructor then has the students choose one of the ideas to share from each group and writes them on the board.
Materials / Resource
- Kramer - Roll-out Tie Dispenser invention [ Watch Video ] [ Download Original Video ] Seinfeld's Kramer has an idea for a roll-out tie dispenser.
- Kramer - Coffee Table Book [ Watch Video ] [ Download Original Video ] Seinfeld's Kramer goes on Regis and Kathy Lee with his coffee table book idea.
- Bicycle drink holder redesign [ Watch Video ] [ Download Original Video ] Students show process of improving on design of drink holder for bicycle.
- Fire Extinguisher re-design [ Watch Video ] [ Download Original Video ] Students consider new design problems to improve fire extinguisher design.
- Quick-write questions [ Download ]