Part of Unit: Understanding the Patient as a Person
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Personality disorders are patterns of inflexible, maladaptive behavior, thoughts, and emotions that relate to the ways an individual responds to life's stressors.
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.B.B2.1 Understand the process for analyzing available information to assess the health ...
- HSMT.B.B2.2 Know the process for evaluating and appraising the appropriateness of information.
- HSMT.B.B2.3 Know how to evaluate patients’ and clients’ responses to treatment and procedures.
- HSMT.B.B2.4 Use appropriate documentation to report information about patients and clients.
- HSMT.E.E2.1 Understand the collection and formatting of information by using facility protoc...
- HSMT.E.E2.2 Use medical terminology appropriate to therapeutic services to interpret and com...
- HSMT.E.E3.1 Understand the roles and responsibilities, within their scope of practice, that ...
- HSMT.E.E3.2 Understand the process of prioritizing and organizing work in accordance with pa...
- HSMT.E.E3.3 Determine the availability of resources for the effective implementation of trea...
- HSMT.E.E3.4 Use equipment and instruments in accordance with manufacturers’ guidelines and a...
- HSMT.E.E3.5 Know the process for the documentation of actions in accordance with facility pr...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.3 Generate relevant questions about readings on issues that can be researched.2
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.4 Synthesize the content from several sources or works by a single author dealing ...32
- ELA.9-10.W.2.3a Write expository compositions, including analytical essays and research reports ...
- ELA.9-10.W.2.3b Write expository compositions, including analytical essays and research reports ...
- ELA.9-10.W.2.3e Write expository compositions, including analytical essays and research reports ...
- ELA.9-10.W.2.3f Write expository compositions, including analytical essays and research reports ...
- ELA.9-10.W.RT.1.3 Use clear research questions and suitable research methods (e.g., library, elect...2
- ELA.9-10.W.RT.1.4 Develop the main ideas within the body of the composition through supporting evi...22
Objectives and Goals
- Identify each personality disorder
- Define features of each disorder
Activities in this Lesson
- Spotlight - Hooks / Set
Ask students if they think anxiety disorders in college students is common?
Read the article called "Helping a College Student with an Anxiety Disorder." After this have a detailed discussion and listen to students concerns and apprehensions about college life.
- Article [ Download ]
- Lecture - Lecture
Pass out the Personality Disorders worksheet. As the lecture material is presented ask students to identify as many personality traits as they can and list them under the appropriate cluster type and disorder type.
- Matching - Demo / Modeling
Have students use the new knowledge learned within the lecture to correctly match the personality disorder to it's correct definition on the Matching Worksheet. This worksheet can be corrected by the student.
- matchingdisorders_worksheet.pdf [ Download ]
- Essay - Lab / Shop
Each student will independently reflect on the information presented in the lecture and movie and complete a 1 page essay answering the following question:
When do personality traits become a disorder?
Students should have access to the internet to research material for this paper. Listed on the assignment directions are approved websites to use.
- Personality Disorders Essay [ Download ]
- Quiz - Assessment
Have students complete the personality disorders quiz to assess the knowledge gained throughout this lesson.