Part of Lesson Plan: Epidemiology Lab - Viral Transmission
Activity Overview / Details
This can be done via power point (I will
include a Powerpoint presentation to download on the CTE website).
While this is happening though, it will be important to address the
misconceptions and knowledge gaps that will be individualized to
each class population. Information covered in direct instruction
1. What is epidemiology?
2. What are the various levels of disease progression?
3. What diagnostics are used to identify viral infections?
4. What are the lab procedures for the Western Blot (advanced) / “Jaguar Flu” (low tech)
5. Focus on careers in disease “hunting” and actual transmission rates (small clip of “Outbreak” – the projection of the spread of the Motaba virus throughout the United States, or “And the Band Played On” segment detailing the national and global statistics of the spread of HIV in the 1970’s and 1980’s).
Materials / Resource
- Lab Procedure Video for Western Blot (2:30) [ Go to Site ] This is a quick video of the actual Western Blot lab technique
- What is epidemiology? [ Go to Site ] This is a quick video to introduce the career field of epidemiology. (7 minutes)
- Transmission rate graphic [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]