Part of Lesson Plan: Intradermal Injections
Activity Overview / Details
Next, you can have a student record you,(make sure that your camcorder is connected to your projector so that all students can clearly see) while you withdraw the medication (or you can set up your elmo). Walk students through what you are doing:
- peform handwashing
- put gloves on
- check the expiration date of the vial, if not expired, and the vial still has a cap on it, pop the cap of the vial and place the date opened.
- If the vial has already been opened, check the date the vial was opened to ensure it has not been open greater than one month. If so, discard vial in a sharps container and get a new vial.
- cleanse the top of the vial with an alcohol swab
- remove the protective plastic/paper covering of the syringe
- remove the cap from the syringe taking care not to poke yourself with a needle
- inject approximately .05 ml of "air" into the vial
- withdraw .01 ml of saline or sterile water into the syringe
- once correct amount has been collected from the vial, remove any airbubbles by lightly tapping on the syringe; while the needle is still inside the vial
- next, remove the needle from the vial
- slide the protective shield, so that the needle is not exposed
- select the appropriate site for needle penetration (left forearm)