Part of Lesson Plan: Intradermal Injections
Activity Overview / Details
Place skin structure diagram on the boad, it is important to show students skin layers. Explain to students the term "epidermis"= above the dermis, "intradermal"=between/inside the dermis.
After gloving, show students how to properly administer an ID injection, using a hotdog for practice. \
Prior to the administration of any medication, students must first check for patient allergies or situations where a skin test would not be performed. The person administering the test must review the patients questionnnaire before administering the solution.
Since hotdogs a thin casing surrounding them, show students the
depth and the angle of insertion. 1) First, model cleaning
the area off with alcohol.
2) Remove the protective covering of the needle.
3) With the bevel up, and at 10-15 degree angle, insert the needle under the hotdog's casing.
4) Slowly began to administer the sodium cloride, forming a wheal, until all the liquid has been adminitstered.
5) Withdraw the needle, and activate the safety mechanism.
6) Dispose of the needle/syringe in the Biohazard Shaprs Container,
7) Return the vial to the storage area
8I Remove the gloves
9) Wash your hands.