Part of Unit: First Aid, CPR and Health Assessment
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
This lesson is part of a unit that teaches CPR. This lesson is taught in the beginning of the unit.
- one class period
- 90 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.B.B2.1 Understand the process for analyzing available information to assess the health ...
- HSMT.FS.5.1 Apply appropriate problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills to wor...
- HSMT.FS.5.3 Use critical thinking skills to make informed decisions and solve problems.
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
Objectives and Goals
- Understand the process for analyzing available information to assess the health status of patients and clients. Use critical thinking skills to make informed decisions and solve problems.
- Describe how a heart attack happens and explain four things that they can do to prevent heart disease
- Define at least twenty medical terms relating to the cardiovascular system
- Describe the structure and function of the cardiovascular system
Activities in this Lesson
- video clip of heart attack symptoms - Hooks / Set
The students will watch a Youtube video, "Watch your own heart attack" about heart attack signs and symptoms. As the students watch the video they will be taking notes on the signs and symptoms of a heart attack. We will then discuss these symptoms as a whole class.
The students will take notes on medical terminology related to the cardiovascular system. The notes will be turned in with their packet at the end of the unit on CPR.
Pair the students up and have them create poster of their own medical term, using three word parts from the lecture. The students will combine the three word parts, define it by using their notes. The students will then illustrate their poster. After the groups are done, the students will present their poster to the whole class. I will move around the room and check on each group to make sure they understand the medical terms.
The students will watch a video clip on the heart and circulatory system and answer questions.
The student will silently read the article of the article, "Heart Attack Symptoms: What To Do in an Emergency" and answer the questions. Collect the student's answers. As a whole class discuses the article.
- Assessment Types:
- homework assignment
The students will define fifteen medical terms and then create five new medical terms using the notes from the medical terminology lecture. The students will also be assessed with a test on this information at the end of the unit on CPR.
- cardio homework [ Download ]