Part of Unit: Reading, Interpreting, and Extracting Information
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Demonstrate how accurate communication between all parties involved in a patient insurance claim can be maintained across entities using the patient encounter form.
- 1 period
- 55 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.C.C3.1 Understand the process for determining, interpreting, and accurately documenting...
- HSMT.C.C3.3 Know the process for preparing and disseminating information to various audience...
- HSMT.C.C5.1 Know how to code information and develop summaries (abstracts) for use by other ...
- HSMT.C.C5.2 Know how to determine the information needed to record charges and reimbursement...
- HSMT.C.C5.3 Know how to assess and apply information for regulatory and legal purposes.
- HSMT.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.SFIM.2.1 Analyze the structure and format of functional workplace documents, including th...32
Objectives and Goals
- Students will understand how to read the diagnostic and procedure codes from a patient encounter form.
- Students will learn the importance of checking for accuracy, because the insurance claim form is a legal form.
- Understand how the encounter form is an effective tool to share information across the office.
- Understand how the use of the encounter form saves time.
Activities in this Lesson
- You have a Message Hooks / Set
For this opening activity write a short note on a piece of paper. Show this note to a student near you. Tell the student to repeat what they just heard in a whispered voice to the student behind them. The chain will go around the room, until it gets to the last student. This student will then repeat the message to the class.
This old game of telephone shows the students how information degrades everytime it is passed on. The chances for errors increase and the instance of reporting incorrect procedures increase.
- In the old days practice Demo / Modeling
Pass out a sample of a patient chart transcription(see download). Give the students some time to read through the report and ask them to search for the diagnosis and procedures performed.
Hand out and explain to the students how to read the encounter form, show where Randys' diagnosis code is and how the different procedures that the doctor performed are marked off (see download).
Resources and Materials
- Randy Burton's papers [ Download ] Go over the process of using chart notes,encounter to produce accurate claim
The Encounter Form is important for two reasons.
1. It is easy for providers to use. The providers simply check or highlight the procedures performed and the diagnosis of the patient.
2. The form is a written communication between provider and insurance biller which helps to cut down on errors made in claims processing.
When communication is written, it can be easily verified and re-checked for errors.
- Encounter form breakdown Lecture
Discuss the different names of the encounter form; routing slip, super bill.
Explain the various sections of the encounter form. Office visit, laboratory tests, injections, hospital visit, subsequent care, nursing facility and other.
Describe the various methods doctors use to mark the patient encounter form. Circling, checking, highlighting making sure that the patient progress notes are easily transfered to the encounter form for billing accuracy.
Pass one packet of information (see download) to each student and let them go over the information. Explain to them how the patient chart notes, encounter form and insurance claim form are all pieces of a puzzle joined together to document and provide the accurate transfer of information. There are three different patient packets to choose from.
- Assessment Types:
- Writing Samples, Observations,
Use the prepared encounter forms and completed insurance forms as samples so students can look over and evaluate the accuracy accomplished by the use of encounter forms (see download).
If you don't want to use these for observation only purposes you can hand out a blank encounter form and ask the students to fill it in using the chart notes and the insurance claim form with 100% accuracy(see download).
- blank encounter form [ Download ] Could use blank encounter form for teacher assessment