- Core Orientation
- Medical Assisting Profession
- History of Medicine
- Medical Ethics and Legal Considerations
- Medical Ethics and Legality
- HIPAA Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
- Interpersonal Communications
- Hear No, See No, Say No Evil
- We Are Not All The Same
- He Said, She Said
- Beyond the Call of Duty
- What it takes to be an effective team
- Communication: Listening in the Workplace
- Scheduling Appointments
- The Patient Record
- Safety in the Medical Office
- How Safe is the Office I Work In?
- MSDS, Is It A Disease?
- Labels for Secondary Containers
- Got PPE? Methods of Personal Protection
- Hazard Communication Program
- Office Emergencies
- Infection Control and Universal Precautions
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Human Body
- "Dem Bones"-Components of the Muscular System
- Do you CLICK?
- How do you spit?
- The nerve of you!
- Is your head attached?
- There are how many Muscles?
- Vital Signs
- Vital Signs
- What is meant by vital signs?
- Vital Signs Overview
- Methods used to measure temperature
- Mercury Thermometers
- Care of the mercury thermometer/Taking a patient's temperature
- Other types of thermometers
- Pulse Sites
- What is a normal pulse rate?
- Taking a Radial Pulse
- Taking an apical pulse
- What does blood pressure mean?
- What effects an individual's blood pressure
- What equipment do you need?
- How to take a patient's blood pressure
- Vital Signs
- Patient Examinations
- Visiting Day
- Make a "Pregnancy Calculator" Wheel**
- Casting: Putting on, caring for, and removing a cast.
- Diagnostic Tests, Examinations and Therapeutic Modalities
- Intradermal Injections
- EKG-12 Lead Placement
- Hearing Tests Using Tuning Forks **
- Laboratory Procedures (Obtaining & Preparing Specimens)
- Minor Surgical Procedures
- 1...2...3...No Germs on Me
- Assisting with surgery: suturing
- Watch video on circumcision
- Objective overview: Setting up sterile tray and passing instruments
- Set up a sterile field and learn instruments
- Guided practice
- Know the instruments in the kit
- Assisting with suturing:passing the instruments
- Practice setting up tray
- Passing instruments
- Draw the tray set up
- Test on tray set up
- Pharmacology for Medical Assistants
- Dosage Calculations
- Assisting with Medications
- Personal Behaviors Influencing Health
- Health Care Insurance Coverage
Activity Originally Created By: linette brammer
Part of Lesson Plan: HIPAA Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
Activity Overview / Details
HIPAA stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
Healthcare professionals must follow the rules or go to jail or be fined
All offices must have a "Notice of Privacy practices" that explains to patients how their Protected Health Information "PHI" will be used and protected.
Patients must sign that they have been given this note, understand the information about the Privacy Act and agree to it.
Materials / Resources
- government site for HIPAA [ Go to Site ]