Part of Lesson Plan: Mechanisms of Injuries
Activity Overview / Details
Ppt begins with the learning outcomes of the lesson. Teacher runs through the Powerpoint.
- When pulling up slide 4, bring out a bag of laffy taffy and toss one to each student (kinesthetic activity) while instructing them to open the candy, but not eat it yet.
*Connect muscle, ligament, and tendon tissue to laffy taffy. As the students apply tension, at one point the taffy will break.
* Ask the students what would happen if the taffy was cold. What would happen?
- Get an empty pop can out and have students hypothesize what would happen to the empty can if someone stepped on it. Ask a student volunteer to step on the empty can. Show the students that the can buckled at the weak points of the can as well as it did not compress in a straight orderly fashion.
- Give students a popsicle stick. Have students quickly bend the stick back and forth. What do you notice about its motion and properties. Note that the stick goes back to it's original shape each time.
* Now have the students apply a prolonged stress on the stick without breaking it. After approximately 15-30 seconds have students state the properties upon release. The stick does not return to its original shape.
* Lastly, apply enough bending force to cause the stick to break. Ask students what they notice about the break site. Call on different students. The stick did not break in a straight transverse line
- Upon transition to slide 5 I talk about the shearing forces then pull out a bag of Oreos. Students given an oreo and asked to hang onto it.
* Students will hold on to the top and bottom of the cookie and apply a shearing force. Ask students what they notice about the cream. Rarely does all the cream stay whole. A layer of cream styas on each side.
- Cover slides 6-7
**Review Question on slide 8 - Think, Pair, Share
- Present slides 9-17
**Review Questions on slide 18 - Think, Pair, Share
- Present slides 19-20
** Have students reproduce the fracture graphics on their outline
- Present slides 22-24
** Review Questions on slide 25 - Think, Pair, Share
Materials / Resource
- Soft Tissue Injuries Ppt [ Download ]