Part of Unit: Laboratory Techniques and Safety
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
This lesson will introduce the students to the definition of gel electrophoresis and its uses. It will also guide the students on how to actually use it by running different kinds of dyes. This will be a good lesson to do before using gel electrophoresis to separate DNA fragments.
Intro to Gel Electrophoresis Lab
- two or three 57 minute periods
- 0 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.A.A3.1 Understand recombinant DNA, genetic engineering, monoclonal antibody production,...
- HSMT.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
- HSMT.FS.5.3 Use critical thinking skills to make informed decisions and solve problems.
- HSMT.FS.6.1 Know policies, procedures, and regulations, regarding health and safety in the w...
- HSMT.FS.7.1 Understand the qualities and behaviors that constitute a positive and profession...
- HSMT.FS.9.3 Understand how to organize and structure work individually and in teams for effe...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.LS.C.1.1 Formulate judgments about the ideas under discussion and support those judgments...
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
Objectives and Goals
- Students will be able to define what gel electrophoresis is.
- Students will be able to perform the different steps in a gel electrophoresis lab using different kinds of dyes.
- Students will be able to list down some lab safety rules related to this lab.
- Students will be able to explain why they need to follow those lab safety rules.
- Students will be able to demonstrate their knowledge of lab safety rules as they perform the lab.
- Students will be able to show maturity while doing the lab by carefully using the lab equipment and materials.
Activities in this Lesson
- Intro to Gel Electrophoresis - Game - Hooks / Set
As soon as the students have settled down, ask for 9 volunteers for the Gel Electrohoresis Activity. Tell the students to move the seats to the side to provide space for the volunteers. After the game, ask the students why the single individual was able to move much faster than the others.
- Gel Electrophoresis Activity [ Download ] It is an activity that would illustrate the movement of fragments or molecules in gel electrophoresis using the students.
- Discussion on Gel Electrophoresis - Lecture
Using the game that they just did, ask them what they think gel electrophoresis is. Based on their responses, formulate a more technical definition of gel electrophoresis. Discuss with them the principle behind gel electrophoresis. (Note: It is assumed that they already had a discussion on gel preparation and have performed a lab on it).
- Gel Electrophoresis Lecture [ Go to Site ] This gives you a definition of gel electrophoresis, the migration of charged molecules and the different kinds of gels
- Virtual Gel Electrophoresis - Demo / Modeling
Show them a virtual demonstration of gel electrophoresis. Since there are so many steps in this lab, it really helps if the students see it before they do it. It is also economical since they will not be wasting materials in this guided practice. Ask a volunteer to do the clicking and the whole class should be involved. They could also go back to the previous slide or repeat the whole virtual demonstration if they did not understand it.
- Gel Electrophoresis Virtual Lab [ Go to Site ] This virtual lab walks the students through the different steps of gel electrophoresis.
- Agarose Electrophoresis with Dyes - Lab / Shop
Give out the lab hand out to the students and discuss the lab protocol to them. Emphasize the lab safety rules and cleaning up after the lab. They will now start with the lab.
- Assessment Types:
- Laboratory Report
Instruct the students to draw the movement of the dye molecules in the student worksheet. They also write their answers in the same worksheet.