Part of Lesson Plan: Capillary Blood Test - Blood Glucose Screening
Activity Overview / Details
Who would like to intentionally cause themself pain today? I didn't think so (no one raises their hand) Can anyone tell me what a capillary blood test is? Have you ever got a paper cut or poked your finger on something sharp, then you probably broke one of your capillary blood vessels.
Even though it can be such a small cut or puncture because of the sensitivity of the nerve endings in the same area it really hurts. Now imagine that you have to intentionally poke your finger tip with a small blade 3 or 4 times per day.
Please be advised that this is an invasive procedure and parental consent needs to be obtained for all students under the age of 18 prior to the demonstration of the skill. The consent must state that the students will be performing multiple finger sticks on themselves as well as other students.
Materials / Resource
- Lancets [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] Non-safety type of lancet
- Lancet auto-pen [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] Variety of lancet auto-pens
- Safety lancets [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] Safety type lancets
- Capillary Puncture Permission Form.doc [ Download ] This permission slip must be signed by a parent/guardian prior to this activity
- capillary puncture with glove.jpg [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] What a successfull puncture will look like