Part of Lesson Plan: Capillary Blood Test - Blood Glucose Screening
Activity Overview / Details
Read along on your check off sheet as a demonstration of the skill is modeled.
Check Off Sheet:
1. Wash Hands
2. Gather all needed supplies: Gloves, Alcohol wipe, Lancet, Clean gauze/cotton, regeant test strip, glucometer, band aid and sharps container
3. Inspect the site and determine the proper location. The distal lateral portion of the second or third finger is preferred. Students should choose thier nondominant hand.
4. Place glove on non-dominant hand
5. Clean the site with alcohol wipe or alcohol cotton ball
6. With your gloved hand, turn on the testing unit and insert the regeant test strip into the glucometer with the correct side up and the metal strips going into the unit. Be sure to check the expiration date of the test strips.
8. Prepare the lancet
9. Hold finger firmly
10. Puncture the correct location on the finger
11. Blot the first drop of blood onto clean cotton or gauze
12. Apply pressure above puncture site (milk the arm as needed)
13. Drop the needed amount of specimen onto the window of the test strip
14.Apply cotton and direct pressure onto the puncture site while waiting for the reading. If bleeding does not stop you can use a bandaid.
15. Remove glove
16. Chart reading – remember the time of day and last oral intake
17. Replace equipment and clean up. Use the sharps container for all used lancets
18. Wash hands.