Part of Lesson Plan: DNA Gel Electrophoresis Lab
Activity Overview / Details
Use BioRad's DNA Fingerprinting Kit # 166007EDU for this lab. The scenario in this lab is that a crime was committed and the students have to find out who is reponsible using DNA evidence. There are five suspects and they have to process their DNA using gel electrophoresis. Remind them about the lab safety rules before starting with the lab.
Materials / Resources
- Materials and Equipment Needed [ Download ] This is a list of materials and equipment needed to perform restriction digestion of DNA, gel electrophoresis and the analysis of results.
- Advance Prep [ Download ] This section describes the advance preparation that you need to do before each lesson.
- Procedure [ Download ] This is a step-by-step procedure with illustrations on how to do restriction digestion, agarose gel electrophoresis and staining. Each lesson needs approximately one 57 minute period
- Lab Questions [ Download ] This is the worksheet that students will answer after the lab.
- Lab Answers [ Download ] This is the answer key to the student worksheet.
- Lab Safety Rules [ Go to Site ] These are lab safety rules that students should keep in mind as they perform the lab.