Part of Lesson Plan: What it takes to be an effective team
Activity Overview / Details
Tell the students they will again work in their teams to redo
the rebus picture activity.
However this time the will apply the procedures of an effective team.
- Distribute Guidelines handout, or use the projector to put up
- Read to the students "Ground Rules" and tell the teams to follow these rules when doing the rebus activity
- Read "Roles and Responsibilities". Tell the students to think about which role they would like to assume. (ask various students to explain, in their own words the responsibilities of each role)
- Read Instruction #3, tell the teams to use the majority decision method to determine which category they will select and which pictures they will draw. Ask for a volunteer to explain the majority decision method.
- Ask students to form their teams and decide who will assume each role. Ask the Facilitators, Recorders, Timekeepers, and Presenters to identify themselves by raising their hands. Distribute a sheet of paper to each team Recorder. Tell the Recorders to draw pictures large enough to be seen by the class.
- Refer to the Second Time Categories written on the board and tell the teams to use the majority decision method to select one of the categories. Then create as many rebus pictures as possible in 7 minutes
*Monitor the teams to determine if roles are begin assumed and students are on task. Make note of all positive performance and interactions by teams and team members.
After 7 minutes, acknowledge the positive performance.
- Ask each team how many rebus pictures they created
- Allow a few minutes for teams to select two rebus pictures to present to the class for identification.
- One at a time, ask each Presenter to read the category and show each picture. The class guesses the answer