Part of Lesson Plan: Creating A City in Inventor by John Rose
Activity Overview / Details
After video clip students will be amused. As soon as kids are settled have them give you some examples of city items. There are a lot so be sure each student has at least 10 on their paper.
Now go over the city assignment expectations. (See handout)
1. Show the “10-inch x 10-inch”
) on the screen. Explain that each
square is 1-inch x 1-inch plot of land
. Knowing that one plot of land is 1x1 will help
you keep your dimensions and proportions accurate for all of the
objects that you build for your city.
2. Have students create a new folder for all of their files called "City Project". Advise that they start with a house. Demonstrate on the LCD o pening up a new .ipt file, drawing a 1-inch x 1-inch square, extruding it 0.001, and then building a quick basic house. A hospital should fit on a 1-in. x 3-in. rectangle, a lake should fit in a 2-in x 2-in square, etc.
3. Show requirements section of doc on LCD and go over the following requirements.
Your city should have at least the following items:
- Streets AND Sidewalks
- Houses (3 different colors)
- Activity/Sports Center (Recreation Hall)
- HighRise Building
- Mini Mart/Gas Station
- Power Source for the City
- 2 Other Structures of Your Choice
- Traffic Signs and Signals
- 2 Billboards, 4 Trash Cans, a Parking Lot, 12 Trees a Lake/stream or water feature, and 6 Bushes
- Other…. (Movie/Super Hero/Pop-Culture Reference)
4. Show example pics that are available after the requirements page.
5. Explain that this document will be in the shared docs folder for their reference.
6. Emphasize they should add some features that they recorded on their paper from the EQ video.