Part of Unit: Laboratory Techniques and Safety
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Aseptic techniques are important in lab and hospital settings. This lesson gives students basic understanding of effectivness of handwashing, and disinfectants on microbial growth.
- One Class Period
- 55 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.A.A4.4 Understand the importance and requirements of using sterile techniques in a labo...
- HSMT.A.A5.1 Understand the process of developing biotechnology products in an industrial set...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.LS.C.1.1 Formulate judgments about the ideas under discussion and support those judgments...
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
Objectives and Goals
- Students will evaluate effectiveness of handwashing.
- Students will compare effectiveness of various chemical agents on bacterial growth.
- Students will identify main practices necessary to maintain a sterile working environment by writing a "sterile technique" guide.
Activities in this Lesson
- Microbiology lab - Hooks / Set
Students will compare contrast two You Tube videos: "Microbiology Lab #1" and "Microbiology Lab #2" and make graphic organizer by answering following questions:
Q1: Can you list all "good" habits you saw in the videos and explain your reasoning?
Q2: Can you list all "bad" habits you saw in the videos and explain your reasoning?
Q3: Based on your observations, which video would you use as a guide for creating
a sterile technique guide?
Q4: What would be a result of the experiment in video 1 ? Explain importance of handwashing
in lab or hospital settings.
Q5: What would be a reslut of the experiment in video 2? Explain importance of the effects of
disinfectants in lab or hospital settings.
Q6: What terms would you use to create sterile technique guide? Make a list.
Teacher will discuss importance of handwashing and use of disinfectants in lab and hospital settings. Students will be ask to create step by step "aseptic technique guide."
- Handwashing and Effects of Disinfectants - Lab / Shop
Students will use this protocol to record their procedure in their lab books.
"Handwashing" lab wil give students an opportunity to evaluate importance of handwashing, and in "Effects of Disinfectants" lab students will use the disk diffusion method to test the effects of various chemical disinfectants on microbial growth.
- Lab/ Guided Practice - Group Work
Teacher will review lab procedure with students.
Students will work in groups of 2 and complete their lab assignments.
Journals, Demonstration, Observation
- Assessment Types:
- Journals, Demonstrations, Observations,
Students will record their observations. Based on their observations(zone of inhibition) students will identify the most effective antimicrobial agent and importance of handwashing.
Students will be asked to create step by step "aseptic technique" guide and use the list of terms they identified after watching video 1 and video 2 at the beginning of the class.
Students will write a conclusion and answer following questions:
Q1: What did you learn today? Write a paragraph and use scientific terminology.
Q2: How would you explain the importance of aseptic technique in a lab and hospital settings.