- Core Orientation
- Medical Assisting Profession
- History of Medicine
- Medical Ethics and Legal Considerations
- Medical Ethics and Legality
- HIPAA Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
- Interpersonal Communications
- Hear No, See No, Say No Evil
- We Are Not All The Same
- He Said, She Said
- Beyond the Call of Duty
- What it takes to be an effective team
- Communication: Listening in the Workplace
- Scheduling Appointments
- The Patient Record
- Safety in the Medical Office
- How Safe is the Office I Work In?
- MSDS, Is It A Disease?
- Labels for Secondary Containers
- Got PPE? Methods of Personal Protection
- Hazard Communication Program
- Office Emergencies
- Infection Control and Universal Precautions
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Human Body
- "Dem Bones"-Components of the Muscular System
- Do you CLICK?
- How do you spit?
- The nerve of you!
- Is your head attached?
- There are how many Muscles?
- Vital Signs
- Vital Signs
- What is meant by vital signs?
- Vital Signs Overview
- Methods used to measure temperature
- Mercury Thermometers
- Care of the mercury thermometer/Taking a patient's temperature
- Other types of thermometers
- Pulse Sites
- What is a normal pulse rate?
- Taking a Radial Pulse
- Taking an apical pulse
- What does blood pressure mean?
- What effects an individual's blood pressure
- What equipment do you need?
- How to take a patient's blood pressure
- Vital Signs
- Patient Examinations
- Visiting Day
- Make a "Pregnancy Calculator" Wheel**
- Casting: Putting on, caring for, and removing a cast.
- Diagnostic Tests, Examinations and Therapeutic Modalities
- Intradermal Injections
- EKG-12 Lead Placement
- Hearing Tests Using Tuning Forks **
- Laboratory Procedures (Obtaining & Preparing Specimens)
- Minor Surgical Procedures
- 1...2...3...No Germs on Me
- Assisting with surgery: suturing
- Watch video on circumcision
- Objective overview: Setting up sterile tray and passing instruments
- Set up a sterile field and learn instruments
- Guided practice
- Know the instruments in the kit
- Assisting with suturing:passing the instruments
- Practice setting up tray
- Passing instruments
- Draw the tray set up
- Test on tray set up
- Pharmacology for Medical Assistants
- Dosage Calculations
- Assisting with Medications
- Personal Behaviors Influencing Health
- Health Care Insurance Coverage
Activity Originally Created By: kim roy
I will be your assistant today
Part of Lesson Plan: Visiting Day
Activity Overview / Details
Note: Please remember to notify administration that guest will be on campus for this event.
As visitors arrive they are asked to take a seat in our "waiting room". Many of the student have multiple guests come so their is always a patient for each student (occasionally some of the students may have to be patients for the day).
Students are given a progress sheet and asked to take a patient history, vital signs, height, weight and vision or hearing exam on their patient.
Patients are given an evaluation form to evaluate the performance of their assistant. I have had positive feedback from this activity from both student and parent. The extra bonus is that you have now created a better connection with the parent and parents seem to become more involved with their child's learning.