Part of Unit: Oxy-fuel Cutting and Welding
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Upon the completion of this lesson, the students will know how to properly set up, light, adjust, shut down and maintain an oxy-fuel system safely and in the proper sequence .
- 1 Class Period
- Instructor Demonstrations
- 20 Minutes
- Lab Practical / Assignment
- 2 Class Periods
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- ANR.B.B1.1 Practice the rules for personal and group safety while working in an agricultura...
- ANR.B.B1.2 Know the relationship between accepted shop management procedures and a safe wor...
- ANR.B.B7.2 Know how to properly set up, adjust, shut down, and maintain an oxy-fuel system.
- ANR.B.B7.3 Know how to flame-cut metal with an oxy-fuel cutting torch.
- ANR.B.B7.4 Know how to fusion-weld mild steel with and without filler rod by using oxy-fuel...
- ANR.B.B7.5 Know basic repair skills using a variety of techniques, such as brazing or hard ...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
Objectives and Goals
The student will know how to properly set up, light, adjust, shut down and maintain an oxy-fuel system.
Activities in this Lesson
- Lighting the Torch - Hooks / Set
As the students enter the classroom, have them take their seats and take roll. In front of the classroom / shop have an oxy-fuel outfit clearly visible for all to see. Quietly and calmly- walk over to the oxy-fuel outfit and proceed through the steps to start up the torch. Put on the torch body a rose tip (most of the students in the class have probably never seen a torch lite before). Set the regulators to the appropriate settings, make sure you have all the appropriate safety gear on (gloves, shade #5 glasses/goggles, friction lighter) aim the torch in a safe direction and lite that rose tip- BIG FLAME! This will get their attention then explain to them that this could be dangerous and today I will show you all step-by-step the safe procedures in using this piece of equipment. Proceed into the lecture / power point presentation and student notes.
- Start up and shut down procedures - Lecture
1. Power Point Presentation titled, Oxy-Fuel Start up and Shut down
2. Student note packet for each student to record information from power point lecture notes.
- Start up and shut down procedures - Demo / Modeling
After the power point presentation and student notes are completed, the instructor needs to move the oxy-fuel setup into the middle of the shop or an open area at the front of the classroom. Teacher needs to obtain the appropriate safety gear: Shade #5 welding glasses or goggles, leather welding gloves and a friction lighter. Print out a copy of the instructor check off sheet (assessment sheet) for each student within the class. Using the check off sheet as a student guide, students and instructor are to follow the steps / procedures on the assessment sheet throughout the demonstration. As the instructor calls on individual students to read the steps, the instructor will also visually demonstrate on the unit that particular step. Complete all steps both verbally and visually with the students- check for understanding. Repeat the demonstration to the class as needed.
- Assessment Types:
- Demonstrations, Check off list.
After the teacher demonstration, each student in the class must show / demonstrate to the instructor and the rest of the class, that they can proficiently set-up, light, adjust, and shut down the oxy-fuel outfit safely.
The assessment sheet provided will serve two purposes. 1. As a guide for the students, a step by step list of procedures to follow in setting up, lighting and shutting down the oxy-fuel unit. 2. A check off list for the instructor to keep track and make sure the student follows and completes all the proper sequencing in setting up, lighting. adjusting and shutting down the oxy-fuel outfit.
Teacher will check off each step completed by the student, then sign off with his/her signature that the student can safely and accurately set-up and shut down the oxy-fuel set-up.
Teacher should hold on to the completed assessment sheets and store them with the students' safety test records.
- Lighting and shutting down the torch.doc [ Download ] Student check off list