Part of Unit: Understanding the Patient as a Person
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
This lesson will teach the students about culture, acculturation, ethnography, and the importance of cultural competence as a health care worker. The students will also learn about the various primary ethnic groups within the United States. This lesson is part of a larger unit on Culture and Health Care.
- one class period
- 90 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.FS.2.0 Communications
- HSMT.FS.8.3 Understand the role of personal integrity and ethical behavior in the workplace.
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.3 Generate relevant questions about readings on issues that can be researched.2
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
Objectives and Goals
The students will learn the importance of cultural competence as a health care provider
Activities in this Lesson
- Journal Entry - Hooks / Set
1. As the students enter the classroom, I will be taking attendance and the Journal topic will be written on the white board.
2. I will open the activity by explaining my ethnicity and share a few of my family traditions.
2. The students will then write a 5-7 sentence paragraph Journal entry explaining their ethnicity and some of their family traditions. The student's Journals are written in a notebook and I collect them at the end of each unit.
3. I will have 5 students volunteer to share their Journal entry.
- Powerpoint Presentation - Lecture
The students will take notes on the Powerpoint Presentation, "Cultural Overview". The notes will be turned in with a packet at the end of the unit on Culture and Health Care.
- PP cultural competence [ Download ]
- Map of where we are from - Group Work
On a large pull down a World Map, I will have each student come up and mark the region or regions of the world their family originated from. In addition, each student will be given their own copy of a smaller World Map and will put marks where all their classmates, including themselves are from.
- Cultural Taste Test - Other
I will bring in a food item from each of the 7 Primary Ethnic Groups in the U.S. for the students to sample. I will explain why this food item is popular within each ethnic group.
- Cultural Taste Test Mapping - Closure
Before we begin cleaning up the items from out Cultural Taste Test, the students will locate where each food item came from and write that on their individual World Maps. The students will then help clean up the items from the Cultural Taste Test and then be seated.
- Assessment Types:
- Teacher-Made Test,
For homework, the students will be given a worksheet with 10 questions from this lesson. I will pass the worksheet out as the students exit the room at the end of the period. The worksheet will be due the following school day.
- homework assessment [ Download ]