Part of Lesson Plan: Spine Boarding
Activity Overview / Details
This is an introduction to all the equipment the students will need to use during the spine boarding process. In groups of 5-7 students are asked to go to the equipment that is being discussed. Studnets are asked to touch the equipment, assess its structure, weight, ease of use, etc as the teacher is describing the equipment
1. The back board is commonly made out of plastic or wood, this will allow it to float in the case of a water spine boarding case. Plastic is lighter and easier to carry around.STudents will notice that it has rails on the bottom to lift the patient, holes for handles and straps also.
2. Neck collar. This item is what will stabalize the patients neck and keep the patient form being mobile, thuis decreasing the chance of further damage during transportaition to the hospital. They are very light weight and easily mold to the contours of the patients neck. There are several sizes depending on the patients size. The most common size is known as the "No Neck" size...meaning a normal short neck.
3. The head immobilzer is a great upgrade in stability. Utilizing latex foam and velcrow, tehse wedges are placed on the board up against the head to further decrease likelyhood of neck movement. Decades ago, the commonly used method was sandbags/roled towels and tape to secure the head.....we've come a long way!
4a. Is known as a Spider strapping system. There are many different systems out there, this is the most common to see. It will effectively strap the patient to the board so that he/she will be stabile and lack the ability to move.
4b. Lets watch this short video on the strapping of a patient.
5. Finally you can see the image of what a properly spine boared patient should look like with all the gear on!
Remember, this is a medical emergency and a scary time for the patient. Always act professional and be as calm as possible. This will decrease the stress during the situtaion and calm all involved.
Materials / Resource
- Spine Board [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Neck Collar.jpg [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- 195445_head Immobilizer.jpg [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Spider Straps Good image.jpg [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Spider Straps [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Spine boarded Athlete.jpg [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] How the athlete should look after being boarded