Part of Unit: Engine Performance*
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Oxygen sensor testing using the digital multimeter and DSO on early model sensors (non obd and obd 1) as required by individual manufacturer recommendations.
- Lesson time
- 55 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- T.C.C3.5 Understand the basic principles of electricity, electronics and electrical power...
- T.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.8.R.CAGT.2.6 Use information from a variety of consumer, workplace, and public documents to e...3
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
- M.8-12.PS.8.0 Students organize and describe distributions of data by using a number of differ...
Objectives and Goals
The student will be able to recognize industry testing of early model O2 sensors.
Activities in this Lesson
- Testing of O2 sensors on pre-OBD & OBD 1 vehicles - Hooks / Set
While I am taking roll I will have the students take out their portfolios and open their automotive book to the oxygen sensor testing section. In the previous days lecture setting the students will have learned how to identify and locate various pre-OBD oxygen sensors. In this lecture / lab component lesson the students in teams of 3 will check out a vehicle, create a work order for oyxgen sensor testing (per manufature specifications) and document the results on the work order and the appropiate NATEF task sheet. They will follow the BAR generic testing recomendations and procedures of pre-OBD and OBD 1 vehicles. I will group the students in teams of 3 for the lab portion of the lesson. In the lab setting the students will apply the testing procedures outlined in the lecture utilizing Manufacture specific, BAR, Alldata and Identifix reference materials, as well as, computer programs on assigned shop vehicles.
- Oxygen sensor testing - Lab / Shop
In the lab setting the students will work in teams of 3 working on running vehicles in the shop setting. Strict adherance to shop safety rules will be observed by instructor through out the lesson.
- Shop clean-up - Closure
While students are cleaning their work areas, the instructor will review NATEF task sheets, workers and advise students of the following lecture / lab on OBD 2 vehicles.
- Assessment Types:
- Demonstrations, Portfolios, Observations, NATEF task sheet
The instructor will assess each student team as they identify and test the oxygen sensor system as required by the NATEF task sheet. Each student will have their NATEF task sheet signed by the instructor after sucessful demonstration of testing their oxygen sensor or sensors.
1. Shop work order
2. NATEF task list
3. 6 various make America, Asian and European vehicles; (1) carburated vehicle per BAR regulation of any make mentioned however, it must have a pre-OBD oxygen sensor either one or two wire (heated).
4. Vehicle Manufacture specific repair manuals, BAR Smog Check testing manuals, computer and online references.
5. Various Generic and Manufature recommened testing equipment (Digital Multi-meters and Digital Storage Ocilloscopes-DSO.
6. Required shop safety equipment and personal protective equipment