Part of Unit: Patient Examinations
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
A "pregnancy Calculator" wheel is fun to make: Calculate your LMP, your baby's expected weight, length, due date, date of conception.
- I class
- 60 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.D.D1.2 Know how to provide support to standardization, consolidation, and re-engineerin...
- HSMT.D.D1.5 Know the process for monitoring clients’ expectations by using plans to promote ...
- HSMT.E.E1.1 Know the process for evaluating the ability of patients and clients to understan...
- HSMT.E.E1.2 Use appropriate communication strategies with patients and clients.
- HSMT.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
- HSMT.FS.2.0 Communications
- HSMT.FS.5.1 Apply appropriate problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills to wor...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
Objectives and Goals
- The Student will make a Pregnancy Calculator" wheel.
- The Student will understand the relationship between LMP, conception and birth
- The Student will understand how to use the calculator to estimate baby's due date, weight and height
Activities in this Lesson
Have the following picture on overhead or video as the students come in. After they are sitting down, read it to them.
Afterwards, explain that today we are going to make a pregancy calculator to figure out dates baby will be due and dates for conception.
Mother gave birth so quickly her baby slid down her trouser leg
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 7:59 AM on 9th June 2009
A mother told of her shock today after she unexpectedly gave birth at home so quickly her baby daughter slid down her trouser leg.
Katherine Allan, 23, was having regular contractions, but was told by the hospital they were still too far apart to require treatment.
However moments later tiny Hannah made her surprise appearance at the bottom of the stairs as Katherine's partner Alan Moore, 25, helped her walk.
'I was in total shock at the speed of things and Alan turned a funny shade of green but he reacted really quickly to dive and catch Hannah when she rolled down my leg.
'It was a bit strange seeing this little lump roll down my jogging pants which was actually my daughter.
- How to make the Pregnancy Calculator - Demo / Modeling
1, Using a copy of this picture of the pregnancy calculator on pink and blue paper, cut out the pink wheel and cut out the blue wheel smaller, around the line showing the "weeks".
2. Place the blue wheel on top of the pink wheel and attach them by pushing a "Y" stud through the middle of both
- Make the Pregnancy Calculator - Projects
Following the demonstration, students make a calculator given the blue and pink copies of the calculator, scissors and "Y" studs.
- How to use the wheel - Demo / Modeling
Instructor will show students how to use the wheel to find the following:
1. Line up the blue arrow on the LMP (date your last menstrual period started) with the date on the pink wheel.
2. Read the due date from the arrow on the blue wheel pointing to the date on the pink wheel.
3. Read when the baby was conceived using the arrows in the same way
4. Read the baby's height and weight at various dates.
- Can you use the wheel? - Assessment
Use the wheel to calculate various dates.
If the LMP was January 14, when would the woman have to have sex to get pregnant? _______
If a pregnant woman's LMP was June 5,
1. when will the baby be due? ___________
2. When was the baby conceived? __________
At full term, (by the "due" arrow) what is the baby's weight ? _________ height? ______
- Use the wheel for yourself - Closure
Explain this wheel could help a person plan. It is so important to know if you might be pregant because brain damage occurs in the first trimester, when some people might not even know they are pregant. Then they have to care for a metally challenged person for 18 years. So don't drink or smoke or do drugs if you might conceive!
Now students can use the wheel for themselves. Ask them:
When were you conceived?
If you wanted to get pregnant now, when would you have to have sex?
When would the baby be born?
When is the best time to have a birthday? -_______
When would you have to conveive to get a baby born at that date?
- Assessment Types:
- Projects, Writing Samples, Demonstrations, Observations,