Part of Course: Small Business Ownership & Management Model
Unit Overview / Details
In this unit students explore personal, social and global value systems connecting them to ethics systems, conduct on-line research and write a code of ethics for a fictitious company, relating to the four (4) components of social responsibility. Students will look at companies that have practiced unethical behavior.
- 3 Hours
- Determine the importance of business ethics and how unethical business practices effect both individuals and society. Define ethics. Discuss and evaluate unethical practices in the workforce from previous class discussions, newspaper articles, news reports, etc.
- identify and explore the evolution of ethics in society as represented in the family unit, peer groups and classroom environment.
- Using team model, identify where ethics are learned, practiced and refined to fit the individual needs of the student and/or group.
- design a code of ethic
- collaborate with a team to create a group code of ethics.
- Using the group efforts the class will design an agreed upon code of ethics for the class and a visual representation of the code. A poster or coat of arms.
Lessons in this Unit
Students will conduct on-line research of 5 major corporate websites in order to write a code of ethics for a fictitious company they will create. The students will then describe how these ethical guidelines relate to any or all of the four (4) components of social responsibility. Students will look at 3 companies that have practiced unethical behavior. The students will create a Google Presentation to the class describing any relationship between their company's code of ethics and the four components of social responsibility.