Part of Unit: Poultry
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will be able to set up a safe work station, utilize the correct tools to butcher a whole chicken into 9 pieces and clean up and sanitize after completion of lab.
- Single Class Period
- 110 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HTR.B.B3.3 Understand safe and sanitary procedures in all food handling, including food rec...
- HTR.B.B3.4 Know types of food contamination, the potential causes, including cross-contamin...
- HTR.B.B6.1 Know the qualities and properties of food items and ingredients used in food pre...
- HTR.B.B6.2 Use, maintain, and store tools, utensils, equipment, and appliances appropriate ...
- HTR.B.B6.4 Prepare food by using the correct techniques and procedures specified in recipes...
- HTR.B.B6.6 Plan and follow a food production schedule, including timing and prioritizing of...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
Objectives and Goals
Learning how to correctly break down a chicken while maintaining a safe and clean work space; preventing cross contamination and cleaning/sanitizing the cutting boards and work stations when finished.
Activities in this Lesson
- Dan Aykroyd as Julia Child Butchering a Chicken - Hooks / Set
A quick video from SNL where Dan Ayroyd cuts himself very badly while butchering a chicken.
- Dan Aykroyd as Julia Child [ Go to Site ] null
- Video of Gordon Ramsey butchering a chicken - Hooks / Set
This video will be shown after the SNL video. This is how to properly butcher a chicken as demonstrated by Chef Gordon Ramsey.
- Gordon Ramsay Butchering a chicken [ Go to Site ] null
- Demonstrate butchering the chicken - Demo / Modeling
After both of the videos are shown, we discuss the proper way to break down a chicken.
This is where I check for understanding by cold calling on students to walk me through the demo, step by step.
Each student that I call on has to walk me through one step of the process.
1. Who can tell me what we need to do first? and so on...until we are completely finished.
(here I can insert a photo or even a video of me butchering the chicken with the student's participation)
Hand out rubric for lab. (attached in assessments)
- Set up safe and sanitary work station - Demo / Modeling
Before students begin, they need to set up their work station.
A large cutting board sitting on top of a damp dish towel to keep cutting board from sliding around along with their sharpened knives.
- How to set up a cutting board.doc [ Download ] a simple diagram of how it should be set up
- Sharpen Knives - Demo / Modeling
Students need to determine if their knives need to be sharpened or not. If so, teacher will do a quick review with students.
- Butchering Chickens - Lab / Shop
Each student will get their own whole chicken so that everyone can participate in correctly butchering their chicken. Once completed, chicken parts need to be laid out on wiped down cutting board so that teacher can take a picture for student's portfolio.
- Wrapping and Labeling Chicken Pieces - Assessment
At the conclusion of the lab, students need to look at the chalk board which is where the teacher will have outlined which pieces need to go where. Students need to correctly wrap and label chicken pieces and store in the correct area (bottom) in either the refrigerator or the freezer, depending on the following day's cooking lab to be determined by the teacher.
- Sanitizing Cutting Board, Knives and Counter - Group Work
Upon completion of the butchering, the students need to sanitize their work station. (This is previously taught so, ideally, there should be no review needed...)
- clean and sanitize a cutting board [ Go to Site ] This is a quick video from ehow.com on how they sanitize a cutting board
- Assessment Types:
- Rubrics, Projects, Demonstrations, Observations,
Students will be observed as they are progressing through their lab. They will already have the rubric and will be able to see what is required for 'mastery' of the lab.
- Butchering Rubric [ Download ] null