Part of Lesson Plan: Copyright, Fair Use, and Digital Ethics
Activity Overview / Details
Assign Fair Use Abuse? Copyright in the age of the mashup as homework reading.
In class, view the clip Digital Piracy together.
Have students respond to one of the writing prompts:
- How can we as a society start to address the gap between what people do everyday with digital media and what is appropriate under the current law?
- What might be some changes that occur around copyright law in the future to address the issue of piracy?
- How do you think about the issue of piracy first as a media consumer and then as an up and coming media producer?
Additional articles associated with copyright are attached below. Assign these articles as time permits and have students provide brief reflections either in a journal or in class discussion.
Materials / Resource
- Fair Use Abuse? Copyright in the age of the mashup [ Download ]
- Digital Piracy in the News [ Download ]
- Foos Fight McCain [ Go to Site ]
- Why Presidential Hopefuls Can't Get Original Campaign Songs [ Go to Site ]
- Coldplay Sued By Joe Satriani For Allegedly Plagiarizing 'Viva La Vida' Melody [ Go to Site ]