Part of Unit: Communication and Professionalism
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
- Learn about some job roles and responsibilities of those who sell, fix, or support personal computers
- Learn how to interact with customers when servicing and supporting personal computers
- Learn about software copyrights and your responsibilities under the law
- 55 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
Objectives and Goals
- The students will be able to use good communication skills, including listening and tact/descretion, when communicating with customers and colleagues.
- The students will be able to use professional behavior including notatin of privacy, confidentiality, and respect for the customer and customer's property
- The students will be able to complete ......worksheet ....quiz...please add this...
Activities in this Lesson
- Anticipatory Set - Hooks / Set
The students are greeted at the door when they come to class and handed a KWL chart and explained to fill out the first two columns (left side and middle) before the students start the lesson. Once finished, they will do the right side after they read the text. The Teacher can ask the students to report ou their items in the first two column that they wrote down. Use this as a teachable moment and create a discussion. Then have them read the text and document what they read in the third column. Have a discussion afterwards and discuss the different point of views.
- KWL Chart for Professionalism.doc [ Download ]
- Do you know?? - Lecture
JOB ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Certifications and Professional Organizations
2. Recordkeeping and Information Tools
3. What do customers want: Beyond technical know-how
SUPPORT CALLS: PROVIDING GOOD SEVICE
1. Planning for Good Service
2. Making an On-site Service Call
a. Interacting with the customers
b. When the customer is involved with solving the problem
c. After the problem is solved
3. Phone Support
a. When the customer is not knowledgeable
b. When the customer is overly confident
c. When the customer is complaining
d. When the customer doesn’t want to end the phone call
e. When you can’t solve the problem
PROTECTING SOFTWARE COPYRIGHTS
1. Federal Copyright Act 1976
2. Industry Associations
3. What are your responsibilities under the law
- The Professional PC Technician - Check Understanding
The students will use the materials provided or the internet to complete the following worksheet.
The Professional PC Technician
Key Terms Worksheet
From your textbook, define the following key Terms from your chapter and answer the following Question from your chapter.
1. A+ Certification –
2. Call Tracking –
3. Copyright –
4. Escalate –
5. Expert systems –
6. Hard-disk loading –
7. License -
8. Site license -
9. Technical documentation –
The Professional PC Technician
1. What is the value in obtaining certifications and advanced degrees?
2. Why should a PC technician who needs credentials take the A+ Certification exams first?
3. Why is it important to involve a customer in the problem-solving process?
4. What is the difference between a license and a copyright?
5. What is hard disk-loading?
6. Describe two organizations dedicated to combating software piracy?
7. Distinguish licenses from copyrights. Indicate that the PC technician has a duty to protect software copyrights. The potential for violation exists during the installation, upgrading, and customization of software.
8. Present the guidelines that promote a positive phone support session.
9. An on-site service call has a well-defined structure. This section is organized around the principal components of a good service call?
10. Review the list traits of an exemplary PC technician?
11. What is a good strategy to follow if a conflict arises between you and your customer?
12. Name the four job roles that can be categorized as a PC Technician.
13. What do you do after you finish a PC repair?
14. When someone calls the helpdesk, what is the first thing you should do?
15. What organization offers A+ Certification?
16. List the characteristics of good service?
17. List the traits of an exemplary PC technician?
18. If you are about to make an on-site call to a large organization, is it appropriate to show up in shorts and a T-shirt? Why or why not?
19. What is the advantage of purchasing a site license?
20. Why is it important to be a certified technician?
- Key Terms Worksheet for chapter 22.doc [ Download ] Chapter 22 worksheet/vocabulary
- Review the worksheet - Closure
Review the terms on the worksheet. Complete the worksheet for homework if it was not completed in class.
- Assessment Types:
- Teacher-Made Test,
Students will take a final quiz when they come in the following day after studying the worksheet for homework.
- Chapter 22 Quiz Professionalism.doc [ Download ]