Part of Unit: Forensic Science
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will take a look at Americas’s top serial killers. Students will investigative and generate a report on a chosen serial killer. Student will look inside the detailed and calculated behaviors of a serial killer and describe their modus operandi, signature, and characterics of the serial killer.
- Serial Killers
- 3 Hours
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- PS.FS.1.0 Academics
- PS.FS.5.1 Apply appropriate problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills to wor...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.W.2.3b Write expository compositions, including analytical essays and research reports ...
- ELA.9-10.W.RT.1.3 Use clear research questions and suitable research methods (e.g., library, elect...2
- ELA.9-10.W.RT.1.8 Design and publish documents by using advanced publishing software and graphic p...
English Language Development Standards
Objectives and Goals
- Students will identify and describe serial killers categories of modus operandi, signature, and characteristic(s).
- Students will understand the background and behavior of serial killers.
- Students will generate a report and present their report to the class.
- Students will generate supporting media for their presentation such as a PowerPoint presentation, poster board or flash presentation of pictures.
- Students will develop skills in investigating, researching and profiling murderers.
Activities in this Lesson
- Serial Killer Interviews 1:46 minutes - Hooks / Set
This is a 1:46 minute video of infamous serial killers quotes. Students will try to identify the killers.
- Serial Killer Interviews [ Go to Site ] Serial Killers Interviews
Identify serial killers characteristics that will be needed to complete the serial killer writing assignment.
- Serial Killer Writing Project.PPT [ Download ] PowerPoint of items needed for project.
- Who is this Serial Killer - Closure
This Video is about the psychological profile of serial killers and will help students identify serial killers psychological characteristics.
- The Real Hannibal Lecter [ Go to Site ] Video on psychological profile of serial killers.
- Assessment Types:
- Rubrics, Projects, Writing Samples, Observations,
Students will be assigned a serial killer or mass murder from the attached list. Student will be given a handout on how to complete the written report. Teacher(s) will observe students and assist with added questions. Students will orally present their projects in front of the class and will be graded according to a rubric scoring sheet.