Part of Unit: The Hospitality Industry
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Secret Shopper: What will we learn when we observe others?
This lesson will ask students to look for evidence of good and poor customer skills observed at local businesses.
Students will review quality customer service skills previous to this lesson.
- Single Class Period
- 60 Minutes
- 20 - 30 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HTR.C.C3.1 Understand the importance of guest services to the success of the industry.
- HTR.C.C3.2 Understand the concept of exceptional guest service.
- HTR.FS.3.1 Know the personal qualifications, interests, aptitudes, knowledge, and skills ne...
- HTR.FS.7.1 Understand the qualities and behaviors that constitute a positive and profession...
- HTR.FS.7.2 Understand the importance of accountability and responsibility in fulfilling per...
Objectives and Goals
- Students will be able to:
- explain the importance of quality service
- list the six characteristics of customer-focused employees
- explain why customers are important to the hospitality business
Activities in this Lesson
- Opener (10 minutes) - Hooks / Set
A downloadable version is available in resources for all videos and materials in this lesson
Show video clip at the beginning of class.
Mystery Shopper Finds Spotty Service (4 minutes)
Discuss the idea of mystery shopping and what students know about customer service.
What could the store employees have done better?
Then watch this video:
Retailers Respond To Mystery Shopper (2:45 minutes)
Ask: Do you have a memory of when bad customer service ruined a sale or event?
Video clip with information summary and homework assignment sheet in resource section.
- Mystery Shopper Finds Spotty Service.mp4 [ Watch Video ] [ Download Original Video ] A young female professional mystery shopper takes a camera crew to see how these 5 major department stores are doing.
- Retailers Respond To Mystery Shopper.mp4AT.mp4 [ Watch Video ] [ Download Original Video ] The 5 Retailers that were reported on by the Secret Shopper put a positive spin on the experience. Lessons are learned.
- Mystery Shopper Assignment Sheet [ Download ] Students use this sheet to write down their findings.
Use the Powerpoint to teach or review the important aspects of Service: The Heart of Hospitality. Students are instructed on how to become a Customer-Focused Employee. Teacher notes can be found on some of the powerpoint slides.
Slides 7 - 10 discuss Hospitality with the lens of Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs. If you are not familiar with this theory or need a refresher course please google it or go to this website http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/a/hierarchyneeds.htm
Slides 14 - 20 give the specifics of what customer-focused employees "look like". These are the qualities students will be looking for in their Secret Shopper Homework.
- Service: The Heart of Hospitality [ Download ] This 20 slide PowerPoint presentation discusses Customer service, Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and what customer-focused employees look like.
Students are given a particular customer service situation location and are to come up with a skit portraying both positive and negative examples. Students can choose from the list below:
Restaurant - Fast food
Restaurant - Upscale
Coffee shop - Barista
Hotel front desk
Participation points are awarded based on participation during both planning and performance. More details are offered in the Customer Service Skit resource.
- Customer Service Skits.docx [ Download ] Detailed instructions on how to implement a classroom skit activity. Also included is a list of characteristics developed through classroom skits.
- Assessment Types:
- Surveys, Observations,
Students will be given a Secret Shopper homework assignment to evaluate the customer service at a location of their choice. I give 3 days for the assignment to be complete.
Secret Shopper handout is found in Resources