Part of Lesson Plan: Career Opportunities in the Travel and Tourism Industry
Activity Overview / Details
Teacher will go to this website and show students the top jobs in travel and tourism. Tell the students that you have chosen all of the TOP careers in tourism on their cards in the TOP 5 career areas of travel and tourism.
T- Students we are going to go over the top careers in travel and tourism and I want you to write down any that interest you. You will be research in two different careers. This information will highlight some careers that you might be interested in.
Groups- Each group will look into the career options in their sector. You will outline the sector and careers within from entry level to CEO's of companies. You'll find stories there of how real people got into the various jobs examined in detail. Make sure you gather information about the problems of working in these jobs as well as their advantages. You want to expose all aspects of these industry sectors.
Note how the individuals got into the jobs in the first place. Then carefully look for indicators of how their careers progressed, as they took up opportunities to train and develop themselves. This research can be done using books or internet research conducted by the groups.
Get ready for what you are going to be doing over the next few class periods......
- Carry out research on career opportunities in the industry
- Understand the entry requirements into and progression routes through two specific roles
- Analyse their own strengths and weaknesses and begin work on a personal development plan aimed at entry into a travel and tourism career
- Work collaboratively in small groups
- Present findings to the whole group